What do you keep spares of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the dive.

On one where I’m on a boat and space is limited? Maybe just a spare stage reg.

On a big cave dive where there are setup teams and support divers? Everything. Extra regs, tanks, drysuits, undergarments, lights, backplate, wing, regs, reels, bottom timers, compasses, survey gear. Like absolutely everything. Sometimes there’s even a spare rebreather on site.

O-rings, mask, hoses, drysuit seals, catheters and regulators.

Folks...

There was a time when the spares for my spares had spares...not so much anymore...you end up with a very expensive high mountain of bits and pieces...that for the most part will never be used...

There are only so many things you can change out during a charter...and sometimes you may just have to pack up and go to the house...

In an effort to keep things fresh...I cycle most of what I have...scuba gear is not...in my opinion...''collectable''...it's a tool to do a job...no need to keep a tool that no longer performs as was originally intended or is needed...

I have two of most things...including two dive ready complete ''kits''...everything from head to toe...maybe a few more of service items...

I very much value the importance of a good tool kit...it's just as important to have the correct tool with you...as it is to have the available replacement part...a $2000. kit of useful tools is far more valuable than an expensive pile of ''spares'' that will never be used...

Best...

Warren

Going on a dive trip i like to make sure I've got an O-ring pack, spare batteries for my computer/torch, Blackwitch and patches for drysuit/bladder emergency repair. Some Alan keys and my AJ. oh and some spare dry gloves

On my boat, I carry spare parts to build a regulator plus a save-a-dive kit, mask, fins, computer and at home a backup drysuit. During a dive, I take only what I need to make the dive. I don't carry anything I won't use.

At what point does one admit to self that the next purchase can't be called spare/redundancy but just another one reg/mask/fins/whatever because you haven't purchased anything in the last 6 months and.... well... just like flamingos you can never have enough dive gear.

Like others, my answer depends on the context. At home, I have spares for everything. It's basically a small scale shop as I maintain not only my stuff but 3 other divers in my family. Traveling, obviously, is a different story.

In addition to standard save-a-dive stuff and tools/orings/batteries/consumables, I would usually have the following "spares":

Extra mouthpieces
Low pressure inflator
an extra set of regs for a stage bottle that I can use for spares, along with an extra hose or two so that I can deal with any sort bad hose.
spare thin SPG/button gauge
IP gauge
since I like inline shutoffs on my bailouts, an extra of those plus an OPV
Lots of bungee and cable ties.
a few extra bolt snaps of appropriate sizes
extra spools
spare mask

That's a pretty minimal backup kit but would get through most problems.

Spare mask, Spare Regs, Spare.. If it was up to me spare everything.

Folks...

There was a time when the spares for my spares had spares...not so much anymore...you end up with a very expensive high mountain of bits and pieces...that for the most part will never be used...

Redundancy, like many other natural phenomena, is a log curve: a spare for something cheap that breaks often is great, on the other end of the curve is a spare Omega Seamaster for the spare Rolex Submariner for the Breitling Emergency primary that's the bottom timer backup for two Shearwater computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom