What do you keep spares of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While in the "stickier" or remoter parts of the world, I always carried extra regulators; hoses; masks; computers; analog versions of everything digital; field kits for regs and suits; meat tenderizer (alas, not approved by the Mayo Clinic); service tools; sufficient allen wrenches to circle the globe; ad nauseum . . .

I have enough so that I can make the dive within reason. But I don't have redundant wings, back plate, drysuit, wetsuit and Perdix. If those things fail, then I just go home.

Also when diving with family, the probability of failure increases so I make sure there is enough so the dive can be made. Example, on recent dive, my daughter's tank fell and the low pressure hose tore emptying the tank in a short time. So a quick repair and dive was made.

Redundancy, like many other natural phenomena, is a log curve: a spare for something cheap that breaks often is great, on the other end of the curve is a spare Omega Seamaster for the spare Rolex Submariner for the Breitling Emergency primary that's the bottom timer backup for two Shearwater computers.

A tragically correct observation. Otherwise, I would have a lot more toys.

At home, I have spare everything. On a multiday trip with nights ashore, I bring spare everything. Offshore with me go spare regulators (one back gas, one deco), gloves, zip seals, O-rings, dry suit valves, computer batteries, canister light, SPG, hoses, mask strap, knife and surgical shears, backup light, and computer. On an expedition, I'd want to add dry suit, one fin, and a wing to the list.

At home, I have spare everything. On a multiday trip with nights ashore, I bring spare everything. Offshore with me go spare regulators (one back gas, one deco), gloves, zip seals, O-rings, dry suit valves, computer batteries, canister light, SPG, hoses, mask strap, knife and surgical shears, backup light, and computer. On an expedition, I'd want to add dry suit, one fin, and a wing to the list.
I think this may be the first detailed response in the thread that could not be summarized as "I am an ambulatory dive shop."

Underwear, that is all.

Underwear, that is all.

Speaking of, two pairs of swim trunks. The wet ones and the dry ones.

I'll try to add value by listing what I carry spare on the dive. Cutting tool, 1st and 2nd stage (doubles plus deco bottles), lift device (drysuit or bag), a double ender dog clip. Maybe a mask if I'm feeling quilted by my instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom