Thoughts on Mares Hybrid Pure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Mares Hybrid Pure? I'm looking for a new BCD for travel and warm waters. This one seems to tick off everything I need (plus I can get it for a great price), the only thing that worries me is the fact it's a "travel BCD". I'm going down south this winter, and am going to be making anywhere from 5-10 dives a week, do you guys think this bc will be able to hold up?
Thanks in advanced!

I have had a Hybrid Pure for a year. I have used it on five liveaboads (Solomons, GBR x 2, Cenderawasih Bay, Raja Ampat) with usually 3-5 dives a day without any problems or undue signs of wear. More than 100 dives using the Hybrid Pure. I am very happy with my purchase. It is a comfortable BCD.

Did u have any issues with the MRS integrated sysem ? There were reports about MRSweight pockets coming loose or dropping... any issues observed by you ? Or do u have the SRS weight system.

No issues with the MRS system. Its a bit fiddly but you just have to make sure its properly seated. I distribute the weight between the trim and MRS pockets. Generally only 3lb in the MRS pockets but also many dives with 6lb in each MRS pocket. Have used the Hybrid on long strides, live entries and rolls. Still have the pockets. Bottom line. Make sure they are clipped in properly and keep the weight within the limits which should not be a problem in warm waters. If it still is a concern remove the MRS system and use the trim pockets and a couple of pound on a weight belt.

Reactions: RB7
I have no experience with one outside of seeing one in a store a few years ago but two things I'd be a little concerned with.First though all I remember about the BC I saw was it was a Hybrid back inflate - IDK if it was a Pure. And I wasn't that interested - just casually browsing in a dive shop.

One is the plastic tank suspension system - several members here have reported that the mount fails after a couple years of use - it just cracks and has to be replaced. I personally didn't like all the plastic on the bc - some was just covers so probably won't affect functionality should they break - anything related to the tank suspension might be a different issue.

The other is that being a travel bc to get the weight down they (and other mfr's) use 420 denier nylon fabric - many non-travel bc's use 1000 denier ballistic nylon instead. This is of significantly less concern IMO.

Reactions: RB7
I'm curious about this as well. I am seriously considering this or a BP/W system.

thought I would share an update on this thread ... I was originally interested in buying Mares Hybrid PURE but leisurepro was out of stock and they offered me the Mares PURE SLS at the same cost so I went ahead and bought that. Just returned from a liveaboard trip and used it for 10 days of diving:

Please note - the PURE SLS version does not have foldable back. it also has the newer SLS integrated weight system rather than the older MRS weight system.

1. it is definitely lightweight and is convenient for travel purposes
2. The SLS integrated weight lock system seems quite good .. did not experience any weights falling off.. I also tried putting in the max weight capacity listed in the weight pocket and tried to jiggle and jolt the BCD to try and make it fall off but it held just fine.. so this is an extremely good sign in my opinion. The older mares MRS system had issues reported with weights falling off.
3. within the water the BCD functioned fine .. this was my first back inflated BCD and I did not feel uncomfortable in the water using it from the first dive itself
4. on the surface I did notice that it tends to push you face down when fully inflated... towards the middle of the trip I figured out the best way to handle this was to not fully inflate on the surface (just 70-80%) and move some of the weights to the trim weight pockets in the lower back.. this helped reduce the push forward tendency of the BCD. Maybe others with more experience with back inflated systems can suggest how to improve on this.
5. the BCD seems well built .. plenty of attachment points.
6. there is only 1 rollup pocket so you may have to use the D-Rings to attach stuff that you normally may put in pockets.

overall i am happy with my decision to purchase this BCD as it fits my travel purposes. i would rate it 4/5 .. if i can figure out how to prevent the lean forward tendency on the surface then i would give it a 5/5.

I know this is an old post but looking for any thoughts ( if it is seen) on this BCD. Most of my diving in in the North east with a 7mm one piece with 24 to 26 lbs of weight. Would this BC work?

I have an old Seaquest jacket style which is probably 20 years old and I am ready to reduce the weight around my belt.

Thank You!

The Hybrid Pure will hold 9lbs in each MRS+ pocket. It also came with trim pockets mounted in the kidney area between the plastic "backplate" and the air cell, which will hold 3 to 4lbs a piece.

If you need more lead, you could always add trim pockets to the cam strap.

The Hybrid Pure is no longer being made, but Mares has other, similar back-inflate models.

My advice is to take a look at the Apeks WTX-D30 travel set. I am currently using one and it is a tank. Have been using it for several years in cold, warm, fresh, sea water and some rough rivers.
PROS:
1- Extremely lightweight
2- Durable
2- Tight Package
3- Modular system (you can add a stainless steel or Aluminum backplate)
4- Trim friendly (thanks to the donut wing)

CONS:
1- Price (probably a bit expensive in the US. Try to search in Europe Gidive Store - Gidive Store )

All you need from Apeks are:
WTXD Bladder Apeks WTX-D30 Wing - Gidive Store
Travel Backplate Apeks Ultra Light Travel Plate - Gidive Store
Apeks Screw Set (these will keep the Bladder and Backplate tight together) Apeks Screw Set for WTX-D (2un.) - Gidive Store

The other parts you need are the harness, tank straps and trim pockets (if you want them).
These three items do not have to be from Apeks as you can find cheaper ones over there.

Attachments

• apeks-wtx-d30-ultralight-travel-set.jpg
    apeks-wtx-d30-ultralight-travel-set.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 221

Back
Top Bottom