Weighting suggestions for new setup.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theiszy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be heading to Bali in about a week and just wanting to get an idea of how much weight I should expect to need. Ill be using a slightly different setup than im used to.

My usual cold water set up, 5/7 mil wetsuit (7 mil aroud the body 5 on the arms). 12L steel tank. Steel backplate and wing (scubapro). With this I usually need 3kg of weight.

When i did my open water in 2011, i had an alu tank, no wetsuit (rashie and shorts), jacket BCD and didnt need any weight.

In bali im told they have 4/5mil wetsuits, 12L aluminum tanks, ill also have a aluminum backplate with my usual wing.

Im just not too sure of the difference the thinner wetsuit, more buoyant tank and lighter plate will make, any suggestion on where to start?

Giving the thinner wetsuit, aluminum backplate and aluminum tank I suggest you to go with 6kg in total.
The difference between a stainless steel - aluminum backplate is around 1.5kg and an aluminum tank at 50 bar will be around 1.4 kg positively buoyant. Usually I have 4 kg on the belt and I zip tie 2x 1kg on the back of the backplate.

Giving the thinner wetsuit, aluminum backplate and aluminum tank I suggest you to go with 6kg in total.

I agree. 6kg sounds like a good starting point.

My situation (AL80 tank, salt water):
7 mil farmer john--42 pounds
Shorty--18 pounds
body suit (no buoyancy to it)--10 pounds
You may be able to extrapolate something from this?

The difference between a stainless steel - aluminum backplate is around 1.5kg and an aluminum tank at 50 bar will be around 1.4 kg positively buoyant. Usually I have 4 kg on the belt and I zip tie 2x 1kg on the back of the backplate.

When you say 6kg total, do you mean including the backplate? Or 6kg plus th backplate?

6 plus the BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom