Sony Rx100 wide angle lens options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hilljo88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’ve got a Sony Rx100 v in Fantasea housing with 67mm thread. An6 advice on best wide angle lens?

Note that most wet wide lenses are made for 28mm focal length, which, on RX100 III/IV/V requires zooming in a little bit to avoid vignetting. Kraken KRL-01 is one of the few that are designed for 24mm, though I don't have any personal experience with it.

I have an Inon UWL-H100 with the dome port. Before purchase, I considered the Dyron Super Wide Angle Lens as well as the Nauticam WWL-1.

If you are interested in photos using the UWL-H100 from Inon, let me know and I can show you some.

cc @Reku

I’ve got a Sony Rx100 v in Fantasea housing with 67mm thread. An6 advice on best wide angle lens?

One thing to point out, I don't have an RX100 but I have the Inon UWL-H100, I think it's the only one that can also take a red filter if you're doing video. From what I've read the RX100 doesn't do too well with custom WB and a red filter is recommended for video.

I use the Nauticam WWL-1 with my RX100m5. As @Barmaglot mentioned above, it requires zooming in ever so slightly to avoid vignetting, but it's a pretty gorgeous lens. One thing worth noting though, it's also a beast in terms of weight and size so if you're looking for something smaller, you may want to consider something like the Fantasea Big Eye lens. For most though, a bigger dome will be an advantage. Ive uploaded a couple exampl images with the Nauticam lens below. (This was my first time out with a camera underwater so photographers go easy on me! Lol) In the photo of the tug, I was probably only about 5-7 feet from the bow of the boat.
LRM_EXPORT_20180329_102849.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20180329_102741.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20180329_102633.jpg

As mentioned earlier, most wide wet lenses are designed for 28mm, so you may have to zoom a bit (the Kraken 01 is the only one I've heard of that is made for 24mm). I have the Fix UWL-04 on my RX100II. It requires stopping the lens down to f8 for the best corner performance, but it's the widest option available (I think) and a decent price. I've read that the UWL-H100 has better corners at wider apertures though.

Hello everybody.
My apologies to the TS. I didn't want to start another thread therefore I've decided to ask my question here.

I am torn between the Nauticam WWL-1 and the Kraken KRL-01. I am using Nauticam housing and Sony RX100M4. Which one will be a better option for me? I've read their pros and cons and I'm unable to come to a decision. Thank you.

The main reason I can see choosing the WWL-1 is if you think you may upgrade to an APS-C or Full Frame camera system in the future. Otherwise, the WWL-1 is much bigger, heavier, and more expensive for little benefit on the RX100 series. I'd go for the Kraken. If you upgrade, you can still probably sell it to recoup something to put towards your next system. Also, you may find that you'd rather not use wet wide lenses and instead go for a dome port with native lenses.

Beware of the Kraken--it vignettes badly with the RX100. Backscatter does not recommend it for compact cameras, see this article: The Best Underwater Lenses for Compact Cameras - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Uh, that article doesn't even mention the Kraken KRL-01? From Kraken's web page, it says the lens is ideal for the RX100. Take a look at the images in this article too:
Kraken Sports KRL-01 Wet Wide Angle Lens Review

Perhaps you're thinking of the KRL-02, which is for small sensor compacts that start at 24mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom