Updated SCUBA tank specifications list -- in PDF and spreadsheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMS tanks were made by Faber and rebadged. I can't remember all of the names, but the OMS tanks were usually called something slightly larger than the Faber/BlueSteel tanks. Like Faber LP108s are the same as OMS 112s. OMS125s are the same as Faber/Blue Steel LP121s.
That's the general consensus. I just wish I could find a published manufacturer's spec as confirmation! :(

Thanks tmassey for putting this together. I notice under the aluminum Luxfer S080N, you have this listed as an 8" cylinder, when it is actually 7.25"

Cool, thank you! I've updated the spreadsheet. Anyone else got any corrections? I'll wait a bit to update, but either way I'll upload updated files.

While I'm updating things...

Does *anyone* have a manufacturer's source for Asahi spun cylinder specs? A reasonable amount of Googling and I can't find *anything*. I've already stated that friends don't let friends dive spun cylinders, but I *have* seen these, sadly, in real life. (As opposed to Heiser, which I've never had the misfortune of running across.) Seeing as they do exist in the modern world, I might as well include them -- if someone has a verifiable source.

A big reason why I created this list was to be able to measure tank characteristics in a wide variety of ways and compare them to each other. After doing all of that, I was blown away how absolutely consistent the most important measurements of (quality) steel tanks are, pretty much from the smallest to biggest.

Doing that finally allowed me to relax about the details and just focus on what best fit my needs. End it ended up with me doing something I thought I would never, ever, ever do: buying a brand new set of steel scuba tanks. Allow me to introduce you to the newest member of my family! :)

My son commented that they look pretty. I said, “Yrah, but they won’t stay that way.” He said one of the most profound things that could be said at that moment: “That’s just the life of a scuba tank.” So true.

But at least I have one photo of my tanks at their absolute prettiest! :)

9F11AB88-24C1-45E8-BEF4-A982089275B3.jpeg

I will be updating the spreadsheet and uploading it next week. Does anyone have manufacturer specs for the spun cylinders? Or any others that we can include?

Attachments

• 3B8BA903-A2DB-41FF-98AF-73776DA924E5.jpeg
    3B8BA903-A2DB-41FF-98AF-73776DA924E5.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 382
@tmassey thanks for putting the list together. Well done, and just what I needed.

Because someone just offered me some Worthington steel 100. Based on the list these look like pretty good tanks, for buoyancy and out if water weight. At $250 each, I think I'll take them.

Anyone disagree? If so why?

Worthington HP100s are great tanks, especially if you dive with lead.

That's the general consensus. I just wish I could find a published manufacturer's spec as confirmation! :(
Back in the day, the grey OMS versions also had "Faber" stamped on them, is that adequate? :p The OMS that imported Faber tanks is no more so you'd need to find an old paper catalog someplace.

The paint on these was so awful, especially when combined with the terrible water trapping boots that were used.. that of all the steel tanks ever made I wouldn't be surprised if the "OMS" ones had the highest failure rates for visuals and are the least likely to even exist anymore.

Asashi cylinders were only imported by Genesis for a few years in the late 1980s and early 1990s. All pre-internet so I doubt you will find anything digital about their specifications. They were pretty heavy as I recall, in particular the bases were thicker than the comparable 3,500psi PSTs. Asashi cylinders had 7/8" necks and I am not sure their exemption is even valid anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom