Nitrox: Should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) I am definitely not arguing against testing but I am trying to put a little reality check on the risk. Every action has risks. And inaction. For a diver to make a choice they have to know the real life risk, at least as much as possible.

We all take risks. Its part of life. And yes, we should reduce those risk as reasonably possible. Do I analyze unknown nitrox? Yes. Do I on occasion dive a tank i do not personally analyze? Yes, when I deem the risk is negligible and I know the circumstances of the fills. Do I test for CO, as of today no. But that may change if I decide the risk indicates the need.

It gets boring, checking tank after tank with all of the zeros, until you get your first tainted tank. Then it becomes habit.

Yes, when the cootwo starts flashing and doesn't show a number value anymore just bold capitalized TOO HIGH! it gets real in a hurry. I've seen it far too many times considering I've only tested maybe 400 or so tanks. 0s 1s and 2s are all day long and then suddenly you see one spike. For what it's worth, when you are on the boat and it is idling and it about wants to make you sick? I've tested the ambient air in those conditions and gotten in the 20s. Never the too high alert. The tanks I tested that were bad didn't smell like that.

On the last trip I didn't get it back from cell replacement in time to take it with me. My wife brought it with her when she came a few days later. First morning after she got there, Bam, bad tank. One bad tank among 15 others that were just fine. It got removed from the boat before we took off. I have no idea if it got dived later by some other op because nobody takes this seriously.

CO poisoning doesn't have to kill you. It can just make you unable to process oxygen as well as you should in low level exposures. Read about the symptoms. They will be symptoms that you have had before which means it would be easy to write them off as something else.

Yes I test because of Dandy Don and his campaign of educating us.

Well, there's this thing called calibration. I calibrate my O2 analyzer before every use, because I have easy access to a 20.8-20.9% O2 mix. For calibrating a CO analyzer, I'd need a CO mix with known composition.

So even if I had a CO analyzer, it'd be a bit more faff to ensure I got sensible numbers from it.
But you don’t need to calibrate your CO analyzer before every measurement (you don’t even need to do that for O2 either as calibration is good for several hours on my Cootwo). The CO calibration is good for about a year. I usually send it back to get it calibrated, but might buy the materials to self calibrate. Either way, for me, the cost is worth it to keep me safe - others may not value their lives the same way... :wink:

And... thanks to Dandy Don for educating me on the potential dangers of CO and the value of analyzing as well!

I probably shouldn’t open another can of worms, and I agree that all nitrox tanks should be analyzed, but I would’t be surprised if your class also made it clear that all Nitrox tanks should have a big green and yellow sticker wrapped around it. For private tanks often not case.

I was replying in context, not repeating the entire course. Heck, we did tables and everything and things not even required by the course.

When traveling out of the country do you ever eat local cusine, fruit, veggies not prepared by your own hand? Do you eat at street vendors or open air kitchens?

Have you ever been out without mosquito repellent in areas with known mosquito borne disease? Do you know anyone diagnosed with Dengue?

We all choose our risks.

When traveling out of the country do you ever eat local cusine, fruit, veggies not prepared by your own hand? Do you eat at street vendors or open air kitchens?

Have you ever been out without mosquito repellent in areas with known mosquito borne disease? Do you know anyone diagnosed with Dengue?

We all choose our risks.
I carry Cipro when I travel. I myself have had to use it on four occasions. I have also watched the vacations be spoiled for those that weren't prepared. I saved the trip of my friend on our last trip when I shared with him. If I could carry a 300$ tester that would tell me in advance that the food was tainted I would for sure order one today. Some risks can be mitigated and others can be outright eliminated. I have lived a risky life. I have survived by not ignoring the risks.

Yep that's why instructors lacking knowledge exist

My PADI Nitrox course made me scared enough about using enriched air

To keep you just scared and ignorant enough so you keep coming back for courses

Because if they were smart, and it was so threatening, or if they actually knew themselves

They would teach comprehensively without the dramatics so you would know

get a book teach yourself

I carry Cipro when I travel. I myself have had to use it on four occasions. I have also watched the vacations be spoiled for those that weren't prepared. I saved the trip of my friend on our last trip when I shared with him. If I could carry a 300$ tester that would tell me in advance that the food was tainted I would for sure order one today. Some risks can be mitigated and others can be outright eliminated. I have lived a risky life. I have survived by not ignoring the risks.
Hi Ray.

And that approach itself carries risk. Most notable is antibiotic resistance but includes adverse drug reactions and allergic reactions including anaphylaxis. Have you tried prophylaxis with Pepto Bismol? As you say, better to mitigate the risk (then treat the result).

I agree. Risk of food borne illness in underdeveloped countries would be worthy of a food tester. But the mosquitoes worry me more. :(

I recently did the course work and became Nitrox "Certified", but haven't yet used a tank. Now I'm in Cozumel, doing a week's worth of diving and the outfit I'm with said they have nitrox available, if I want it for $10 more. I'm interested in trying it, but I don't think that I will be able to analyze the air in the tank. I just arrive at the marina, jump on the boat, and they setup my gear, attach the tanks, etc.

My PADI Nitrox course made me scared enough about using enriched air if I cannot check the gas myself, and a buddy back home tells me the guy who runs one of the LDS' had his brother die from bad air in Mexico...

am I being unreasonably paranoid?
I have never gone anywhere where an op supplying me a nitrox tank did not also have an analyzer for use and make you sign off on the mix. Won't say it can't happen, but I have not run into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom