Blackbeard - Liveaboard - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you enjoyed it! Actually, 4 of us from the area are heading to do a Blackbeard's trip this May (myself, a friend of mine, and two guys he knows in the area). Breezy still sporting the dreads?

Nice. Im jealous. Have fun! Hopefully you have great weather. No dreads on Breezy this time. The divemaster was Hoppy. Guy from South Africa. Very cool guy.

Glad you enjoyed it! Actually, 4 of us from the area are heading to do a Blackbeard's trip this May (myself, a friend of mine, and two guys he knows in the area). Breezy still sporting the dreads?

how was your trip?

how was your trip?

Had a blast again. My buddy did his AOW on the trip this time and so I dived with a couple other people throughout the week as well. Weather wasn't as nice as I've had on previous trips (one night we had 46 knot gusts at one point while I was sleeping) so the visibility wasn't as nice as it was for my last two liveaboards in the Bahamas, but we hit some spots I hadn't been to before and that's always nice. The crew, as always, was outstanding. Surprisingly, none of my previous crew were on this boat so I got to meet some new crew as well this trip. I'll be back next year most likely.

Had a blast again. My buddy did his AOW on the trip this time and so I dived with a couple other people throughout the week as well. Weather wasn't as nice as I've had on previous trips (one night we had 46 knot gusts at one point while I was sleeping) so the visibility wasn't as nice as it was for my last two liveaboards in the Bahamas, but we hit some spots I hadn't been to before and that's always nice. The crew, as always, was outstanding. Surprisingly, none of my previous crew were on this boat so I got to meet some new crew as well this trip. I'll be back next year most likely.
How was the condition of the reefs? The last time I was in the Bahamas (a couple years ago), they were starting to get a bit better and there were more fish on them but they were still a LONG way from what I would call vibrant.

How was the condition of the reefs? The last time I was in the Bahamas (a couple years ago), they were starting to get a bit better and there were more fish on them but they were still a LONG way from what I would call vibrant.

Inside the marine park was better than outside, but it's still a bit spartan for fish relative to a full healthy reef system. Overall I'd say it's improved since my first trip there about a year and a half ago. It's still not Cozumel, but it's better than the reefs I saw in Antigua and about on par with what I saw in Grenada.

Inside the marine park was better than outside, but it's still a bit spartan for fish relative to a full healthy reef system. Overall I'd say it's improved since my first trip there about a year and a half ago. It's still not Cozumel, but it's better than the reefs I saw in Antigua and about on par with what I saw in Grenada.

How about big stuff, did you see many sharks, rays, or turtles?

How about big stuff, did you see many sharks, rays, or turtles?

There weren't many turtles this time, not sure why. I've seen a lot more on previous trips so it was probably just bad luck of the draw this time. Saw at least one reef shark on most dives, a lot more than one on some (the blue hole I saw 1 nurse shark, 3 reef sharks, and I think it was 4 Atlantic Sharpnose, but they could have been two that circled around). Rays were pretty commonplace in the sandy areas, not so much on reefs as expected. And a ton of grouper (not nearly enough Nassau Grouper for me, but hopefully their population will be improving instead of declining in the future).

I saw a lot more queen triggerfish this time than I've seen previously, and more eels as well. It was also the first trip I found an octopus and I had one on a dive two days in a row this trip :). I attached some pics.

Attachments

• Queen Triggerfish.jpg
    Queen Triggerfish.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 209
  • sharks at the blue hole.jpg
    sharks at the blue hole.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Nurse Shark.jpg
    Nurse Shark.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 213
I am headed out on Blackbeard's in a couple weeks. How ample are AC outlets for charging batteries, is there adequate room for a small DSLR Camera? I could take a point & shoot, but don’t have lights for that.

I am headed out on Blackbeard's in a couple weeks. How ample are AC outlets for charging batteries, is there adequate room for a small DSLR Camera? I could take a point & shoot, but don’t have lights for that.
There plenty of outlets. I think every bunk has at least one. Hopefully everything is still good down there for your trip after Dorian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom