Hose servicing and O-ring sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimito

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I would like to do my own regulator maintenance. I found the needed service manuals, tools and service kits that I need to do this. What I don't seem to find is how to service the hoses and what O-rings you need.

Is there a procedure on how to clean the hoses when you service the regulator? I don't think you can put them in ultrasonic cleaner. Can I just clean all the metal parts with a brush? What about the inside?

Do the O-rings for the port plugs come with the 1st stage service kit? I suppose those are the same ones as the ones you use on the hoses, so I guess I can just swap those out? Do the O-rings for the other side (the side that attaches to the regulator) come with service kit for the 2nd stage? What about the O-rings for the SPG swivel and inflator? I have Apeks regulators.

I found this article on Scuba Doctor that talks about all the different sizes of O-rings. What I did not find in that article is the size of the O-ring that joins the hose to the 2nd stage. Is this the same size as the O-ring that joins the hose to the 1st stage?

I currently have a small kit with an assortment of different O-rings that I use when I need to do a small repair. I don't want to keep on buying those kits when I run out of certain size. The Scuba Doctor site lists the part numbers of the O-rings, but I live in Europe and I can't find them with those numbers on the sites of the suppliers I have found. Does anybody know a list of all the common O-rings and their metric sizes?

The more I read about this the more questions I'm having:)

Regards,
Dimitri

The o-ring that is for the second-stage end of the LP hose is 010, as on the chart you linked to:
upload_2019-3-11_12-41-48.png

Here is a different list, from Dive Gear Express:
upload_2019-3-11_12-44-20.png

There are no exact metric equivalents to most of these o-rings.

Some service kits come with the o rings for hoses/plugs others do not. Apeks & Aqualung kits do supply them in the kits

The 3 standard sizes used are:

BS010 CS - 1.78mm ID - 6.07mm OD - 9.63mm - usually for hose to 2nd stage
BS011 CS - 1.78mm ID - 7.65mm OD - 11.21mm - usually for 3/8 connections/plugs
BS012 CS - 1.78mm ID - 9.25mm OD - 12.81mm - usually for 7/16 connections/plugs​

You can put the metal ends of hoses into an ultrasonic cleaner, just make sure they are thoroughly dry.

First, thank you all for the many answers, it looks like I just over looked a couple of things and it's all starting to get clear now.

What brand are you servicing?

I'm servicing Apeks regulators.

Some service kits come with the o rings for hoses/plugs others do not. Apeks & Aqualung kits do supply them in the kits

The 3 standard sizes used are:

BS010 CS - 1.78mm ID - 6.07mm OD - 9.63mm - usually for hose to 2nd stage
BS011 CS - 1.78mm ID - 7.65mm OD - 11.21mm - usually for 3/8 connections/plugs
BS012 CS - 1.78mm ID - 9.25mm OD - 12.81mm - usually for 7/16 connections/plugs​

You can put the metal ends of hoses into an ultrasonic cleaner, just make sure they are thoroughly dry.

Thank you very much for that list, that's just what I needed. I'll try to put the metal ends in the cleaner, thanks for the tip!

There is a procedure if you need to O2 clean a hose for shooting an appropriate cleaner, like Blue Gold, through them. Otherwise, no need to clean the inside of the hose.

Usually, hoses just involve careful inspection for cracking & bulging, with particular attention around the ferrules at the ends. New orings, of course. I also run a foam tipped makeup applicator around the inside of the LP hose to the second stage - in the annular space between the center and the retaining nut. There's often some schmutz in there from the old o-ring.

I don't see a need to clean the metal ends unless they really need cleaning.

There is a procedure if you need to O2 clean a hose for shooting an appropriate cleaner, like Blue Gold, through them. Otherwise, no need to clean the inside of the hose.

Usually, hoses just involve careful inspection for cracking & bulging, with particular attention around the ferrules at the ends. New orings, of course. I also run a foam tipped makeup applicator around the inside of the LP hose to the second stage - in the annular space between the center and the retaining nut. There's often some schmutz in there from the old o-ring.

I don't see a need to clean the metal ends unless they really need cleaning.
I have a set of small wire brushes that I run around the inside circuit of the swivel end on regulator hoses before deciding if they also need a bath.

How do you do that? Squirt it in with a siringe and let it soak for a while?

Yes, that works. Rinse and run clean air thru to dry.

It's pointless to try with HP hoses because the orifice is so small.

Back
Top Bottom