Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Bob on this. Abdominal pain is not generally a symptom caused by SCUBA gear malfunction of any kind.

Years ago, the eponymous Harvey of Harvey's Scuba (Sheepshead Bay, NY) died in a "diving" accident. Except, it was eventually found out that he'd died of a heart problem *while* diving. The diving gear was not at all to blame.

If someone has a heart attack on the golf course, do we start to blame toxic bullfrogs that must have rubbed up against the golf ball?

I'd be hesitant to rely on the reporting of a news agency, rather focus on what the radio call witness reported up thread.

The sheriff's office posted that there was a gear issue pre dive, but made no indication whether it had anything to do with the incident. That is my own speculation. A gear malfunction most certainly could lead to panic or an uncontrolled ascent.

Embolism or pneumothorax perhaps. Not DCS. Getting bent is a function of time spent underwater not speeding to the surface.
In this case DCS is ruled out, but speeding to the surface is most certainly a function of getting bent. I'm sure you know this, but that's the way your post reads.

But what if it isn't? Until more information is released, we're just guessing.
No. I haven't hypothesized how she died. Divers should be gear fault tolerant through training, practice and experience. There's no way to be health fault tolerant, especially if it's one of the silent killers.

No. I haven't hypothesized how she died. Divers should be gear fault tolerant through training, practice and experience. There's no way to be health fault tolerant, especially if it's one of the silent killers.

I agree. So let's wait to see if gear had anything to do with the cause of this accident.

Agree... we need to wait until the investigation is finished... this may not be what it appears to be at first glance.

As you read more in the A and I forum, you will find that there is seldom any more information following the initial post. The information that @NYdiver_666 gave in his post is out of the ordinary for a thread in this forum. As far as getting a report after an investigation, I can't remember the last time there was one here. If anyone can think of one chime in. In one case the investigation report was not released on the request of the family, and in any event it is no longer news, it won't hit the paper, and someone would have to track down and request it from the reporting agency.

But what if it isn't? Until more information is released, we're just guessing.

Theorizing, educated guessing, is what happens in A and I. By analyzing and discussing the accident, we try to figure out what happened and how it could be avoided. Although we probably will never know what actually happened, we can learn more about safety and diving from the discussions, even if we are wrong about what happened.

I'd be hesitant to rely on the reporting of a news agency, rather focus on what the radio call witness reported up thread.

Facts not in evidence at the time of my post, but adds credibility to a medical event rather than a diving accident.

Bob

This is definitely a wait and see situation. If she had a cardiac event in the water an suddenly had difficulty breathing, she might have mistake the difficulty breathing as an equipment failure. Or it could have been an equipment failure triggered panic which caused a heart attack. A rapid breath hold ascent from a relatively shallow depth could have caused an embolism. A shallow dive in warm water for two minutes isn’t giving a lot of opportunity for the gear to fail. If she splashed with her air off, that could create a very dangerous situation.

Condolences to the family

As you read more in the A and I forum, you will find that there is seldom any more information following the initial post. The information that @NYdiver_666 gave in his post is out of the ordinary for a thread in this forum. As far as getting a report after an investigation, I can't remember the last time there was one here.

Bob

If a fatality is in the Los Angeles area you can get a copy of the full coroners report. You don't even have to be family. It takes over a year before they are done with it and its ready to be released. Cost 20 something dollars.

there were additional symptoms reported over the radio that pretty much confirm an air embolism - I am not sure if posting the exact details is appropriate

there were additional symptoms reported over the radio that pretty much confirm an air embolism - I am not sure if posting the exact details is appropriate

Sadly, I imagine she was probably coughing up blood. That would rule out medical event and point to an embolism. In my circles this board is the only place I've heard medical speculation.

Thanks for your clarification. I don't think the visual details are necessary. From a learning standpoint I would hope we hear about the reported gear issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom