TDI Intro to Tech or AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I emailed my instructor a little while ago saying I’d like to go a bit slower and do ITT first. We’ll see where things go!

Earlier in the thread I suggested a different path, but with tech diving, it's always better to err on the side of slow and conservative! Enjoy the training and let us know how things progress for you!

I am pleasantly surprised the instructor suggested doing AN/DP. Way more bang for the buck, and a few times in doubles and it will feel pretty normal.

I emailed my instructor a little while ago saying I’d like to go a bit slower and do ITT first. We’ll see where things go!
Great! Because TDI allows a lot of instructor flexibility, I'd suggest reading over the performance requirements from UTD Essentials (Essentials of Rec Back Mount · UTD Scuba Diving) or GUE fundies (starting pg 28 here: https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.pdf).

I don't think it would be a controversial statement to say that the DIR agencies have a solid course with clear performance requirements that should be mastered before moving onto tech should you go the backmount doubles route.

Because TDI allows a lot of instructor flexibility, I'd suggest reading over the performance requirements from UTD Essentials or GUE fundies
I don't follow this...it seems like a non-sequitur. Are you saying that because TDI is flexible, the OP ought to constrain the TDI instructor to UTD/GUE content?

Agreed. But, did you actually read the OP?

Yeah, I actually did. Did you?

I explained that I am interested in technical diving, specifically the Intro to Tech course, to see if it is right for me and to try some of the technical gear and improve my existing diving skills. I made it clear that I have never dove doubles before and do not have any tech gear myself.

Do you really think that's a candidate that is ready to go straight into an AN/DP program?

And how much technical diving experience do you have that allows you to make that call?

Interesting discussion....

As having to take ITT was part of the NAUI Technical Diving certification path, it took out all potential missed expectations between student and instructor. In my case, it also weeded out a group of 10 people, resulting in only 2 of us continuing on. When we got to the actual classes, equipment (own/borrow) was necessary (instructor did not furnish).

For me it was beneficial to do ITT as I was unsure if, due to my shoulder issues, I could actually reach valves for shut-down drills and procedures. Just tweaking the placement of equipment was time consuming, and would have not allowed a AN/DP class to proceed smoothly.

As said above, if the cost on an ITT class is troubling, then I'd think that Technical Diving is probably not going to be a pleasant experience to you (financially).

YMMV

Interesting discussion....

As having to take IIT was part of the NAUI Technical Diving certification path, it took out all potential missed expectations between student and instructor. In my case, it also weeded out a group of 10 people, resulting in only 2 of us continuing on. When we got to the actual classes, equipment (own/borrow) was necessary (instructor did not furnish).

For me it was beneficial to do ITT as I was unsure if, due to my shoulder issues, I could actually reach valves for shut-down drills and procedures. Just tweaking the placement of equipment was time consuming, and would have not allowed a AN/DP class to proceed smoothly.

As said above, if the cost on an ITT class is troubling, then I'd think that Technical Diving is probably not going to be a pleasant experience to you (financially).

YMMV

Agreed. Going rate for ITT seems to be $200-300. If you can’t swing that, you really shouldn’t even think about tech.

Yeah, I actually did. Did you?

Do you really think that's a candidate that is ready to go straight into an AN/DP program?

And how much technical diving experience do you have that allows you to make that call?

Yes, I read it.

I assume you mean "how much experience do I have teaching technical diving?" And the answer is none. I am not an AN/DP instructor. How much do you know about the instructor that the OP has found to say that the OP should not take AN/DP (including learning to dive doubles) from him or her?

My reading of the OP leaves this highlighted in my mind:

My local dive shop referred me to an independent instructor that they know that teaches technical courses. I reached out to him the other week and gave him my diving experience/background. I have about 60 dives now with a dozen dives at or below 100 ft and am PADI AOW/Nitrox certified. I explained that I am interested in technical diving, specifically the Intro to Tech course, to see if it is right for me and to try some of the technical gear and improve my existing diving skills. I made it clear that I have never dove doubles before and do not have any tech gear myself.

The instructor replied to my email and recommended the AN/DP TDI course combo in lieu of Intro to Tech as he believes there is not much to be gained from the Intro course. I haven’t emailed him back yet as to why he feels that way. He does have an extra set of doubles, regulators, deco bottle, etc. that I would get used to in the pool prior to advancing with skills. The instructor made it clear that they were OK with me not being used to the gear and would spend some extra time with me to get used to it.

I must be extra stupid this week because I am really failing on understanding why you seem so adamant that the OP not take this instructor's AN/DP class. It appears that the instructor will cover the stuff from Intro to Tech as part of his AN/DP course. So, is your beef that he is (presumably) not issuing an Intro to Tech C-card as part of the deal? If he issued the Intro to Tech C-card as part of it, would that make it all better to you? Is your beef because another instructor is willing to spend more time and teach more skills in their AN/DP course than what you do? Do you have some reason to believe that the instructor is going to teach AN/DP in the same amount of time as you would and your beef is that the instructor is going to give a poor class because he's trying to elevate the student too much in too short a time? If that's the case, what is your basis for that belief (that the instructor is going to do the class in too little time)?

I may be a bit hard on myself with skills, but I can't imagine haven gone strait in the AN/DP without an ITT course beforehand. All the internet diving in the world did not show me how to practice the skills required. Then after ITT I had well over 100 dives practice before I started AN/DP.

Also, I'm not sure how it works in other locations, but I would expect any instructor to add hourly rates to any instruction above their standard class. i.e. time taken it include ITT skills into AN/DP. So it's not a free add on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom