Oceanic releasing Geo 4.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@divinh, @scubadada, the sampling rate does affect the number of dives available for download. When I forgot to change the sampling rate from 2 seconds to 30 on last years trip the first 7 or 8 dives were no longer in the Geo’s database for downloading. Fortunately the i300 was set to 30 seconds, so I had all of the info available on it for manually adding to my computer log.

The on computer dive log and the downloadable dives are separate and unrelated.

The on computer log will always simply have the most recent 24 dives. The dives in the on computer log will be numbered consecutively, as long as there is less than 24 hours between dives. If more than 24 hours passes, a new series, starting at 1, will be started. All of the previous 23 dives are still in the log. For example, I recent did 18 dives on a visit to Florida. I did 2 dives, had a day off, did 12 dives over 5 days, had a day off, and finished with 4 more dives over the last 2 days. So for these 3 series, they are numbered 1-2, 1-12, and 1-4. They are all in the computer log, along with 6 other dives, for a total of 24. The on computer log has simple information on 4 screens, date, start time, dive number, surface interval, max depth, dive time, water temp, ending O2 exposure %, max pO2, and gas used.

Here is a screen shot from OceanLog showing the download screen. There are 58 dives/ about 60 hours available for download using the 30 sec sampling period. I have never used 2, 15, or 60 second sampling, but assume it would affect the number of dives available for download based on the amount of data. This seems to be confirmed by @RIHappyDiver in post #15. Perhaps others, using different sampling rates, can further substantiate this.

The 3 series of dives from my recent visit to Florida can be seen below, with the same numbering system that is used in the on computer log
View attachment 509344

The downloadable log contains more information as seen from the example, below. This happens to be the last dive in download list 2/28/19, #4. As this computer is AI, gas use, SAC, and RMV are shown, but would not be included with the Geo 4.0. The dive profile is also included (the red area in this profile is a few minutes of deco). Obviously, the exact information in the download is dictated by the log application you end up using.
View attachment 509347 View attachment 509348

I hope this clears up your questions.

Good diving, Craig

This is great!

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed explanation! It's much more clear now, though I wonder why Oceanic decided to do it this way, since ultimately, you'll be relying on the date and time to figure out which dive is which instead of going from an continually increasing dive count.

@divinh, @scubadada, the sampling rate does affect the number of dives available for download. When I forgot to change the sampling rate from 2 seconds to 30 on last years trip the first 7 or 8 dives were no longer in the Geo’s database for downloading. Fortunately the i300 was set to 30 seconds, so I had all of the info available on it for manually adding to my computer log.

Thanks for confirming this. It seems like if I get a Geo, to match with my Sherwood Vision's algorithms, then setting it to 30 sec sampling would keep a good amount of dives available for download, for longer trips. I'll set the Vision to the 15 or 30 sec sampling now too, so it'll be ready to go.

This is great!

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed explanation! It's much more clear now, though I wonder why Oceanic decided to do it this way, since ultimately, you'll be relying on the date and time to figure out which dive is which instead of going from an continually increasing dive count.
Look at the computer download, 4th line down on the left. All the dives are numbered consecutively with your lifetime dive number. You can designate the number to start on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom