Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could not agree more.

I don't care if people want to speculate, they just need to remain aware that that's all they're doing.

Welcome to A&I. That’s all we do here. Unlike this thread, we seldom see substantiated info after an accident.

The only thing that leads me to think she may have had an underlying cardiac issue is that they said they defibrillated her - that's not as common. Defibrillation is more often associated with cardiac events.

Obviously, deepest sympathies to her family and friends, no matter what. Definitely a tragedy, no matter the cause. :(

The only thing that leads me to think she may have had an underlying cardiac issue is that they said they defibrillated her - that's not as common. Defibrillation is more often associated with cardiac events.

Obviously, deepest sympathies to her family and friends, no matter what. Definitely a tragedy, no matter the cause. :(

Maybe a desperate attempt to get her heart beating again.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok, folks, we probably appreciate a Monty Python reference - or three - more than the average guy does, but perhaps we should remember where this thread is located (hint: It's located in Accidents and Incidents)?

Please stick with speculation and analysis.

I'll also take this opportunity to remind that even though it is a sadness when life is lost, please refrain from expressing condolences in this or any other Accidents and Incidents thread. There is a another subforum specifically for offering your sympathies

"Defibrillation is a technique used in emergency medicine to terminate ventricular fibrillation or pulseless ventricular tachycardia.

It uses an electrical shock to reset the electrical state of the heart so that it may beat to a rhythm controlled by its own natural pacemaker cells.

It is not effective for asystole (complete cessation of cardiac activity, more commonly known as "flatline") and pulseless electrical activity (PEA).

The purpose of defibrillation of ventricular arrhythmias is to apply a controlled electrical shock to the heart, which leads to depolarization of the entire electrical conduction system of the heart.

When the heart repolarizes, the normal electrical conduction may assert itself, in which case the ventricular arrhythmia is terminated.

However, if not enough energy is used for defibrillation, the heart may not be completely depolarized, in which case the ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation may not be terminated.

Also, if the heart itself is not getting enough oxygen or if there is an instability of the electrolytes in the cardiac cells, the ventricular arrhythmia may recur."

Most doctors aren't trained in dive injuries, let alone a paramedic from a college rescue team.
Most injuries are not unique to diving, and for those, any physician will do, even a paramedic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom