Need help with buying a diving computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm rather new to scuba diving and I really enjoy doing it. Therefore, I would like to buy a diving computer around the 450$.

I've been told that the aqualung i450t and the suunto d4i are really good in this price range.
However, are there any better diving computers out there?

Kind regards

Hi Max,

Welcome aboard.

A fellow scubaboard member has stated on other threads that a person should spend less than $300 for a computer, or go all out, and buy a Shearwater or equal (IMHO, there are no equals!). Suunto and other companies have very nice and capable high-end computers. Most (or very large plurality) of us on Scubaboard own Shearwaters because they are cutting edge with great customer service. They are user friendly.

The $300 or less computers are reliable, safe, and give you the information you need to dive safely. Why spend anymore than that, unless you plan on progressing into technical diving, or if you like really nice things.

I have an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 and a Perdix ai. The user interface is not good on the PP3. The PP2 was excellent.

Top-shelf computers are really nice. You will pay for it though.

Buy the best, or spend less than $300.

:cheers:
markm

Hi Max,

Welcome aboard.

A fellow scubaboard member has stated on other threads that a person should spend less than $300 for a computer, or go all out, and buy a Shearwater or equal (IMHO, there are no equals!). Suunto and other companies have very nice and capable high-end computers. Most (or very large plurality) of us on Scubaboard own Shearwaters because they are cutting edge with great customer service. They are user friendly.

The $300 or less computers are reliable, safe, and give you the information you need to dive safely. Why spend anymore than that, unless you plan on progressing into technical diving, or if you like really nice things.

I have an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 and a Perdix ai. The user interface is not good on the PP3. The PP2 was excellent.

Top-shelf computers are really nice. You will pay for it though.

Buy the best, or spend less than $300.

:cheers:
markm

Thank you Markm for your advice!

new Aqualung I450s run about $650-700 without the air integration transmitter. D4s are running about 500 new without the AI module. Both are good computers. You can find lots of computers under $300 without air integration (cressi, mares, aqualung, etc). You will find a strong inclination on scubaboard towards shearwater perdix and teric because a lot of folks on the board are more advanced or technical divers and strong preference for specific algorithms.

You can also look for used computers if you are willing to accept risk of no warranty. Get a little more bang for your buck but not as much assurance.

You can also look for used computers if you are willing to accept risk of no warranty.

Hi Max.

This is another reason why Shearwater has such a following here on Scubaboard. If you buy a used Shearwater, the warranty runs with it.

Also, the person who repairs Shearwater computers, told me over the phone, that he must turn a Shearwater around in 5 days--and it does not matter if it is service or warranty work. The big boss (so to speak) tracks the repair cycle.

My Perdix has a recreational mode and a Tech mode. I don't have the Tech manual downloaded. I use the recreational manual. No confusion and no mixing of rec mode and tec mode. My computer is set to recreational mode.

People advertise used Shearwater computers on Scubaboard a lot. As I recall, @stuartv sold one recently. PM him for details. I am sure he can tell you what they are worth used. They do hold their value.

Shearwater has the lowest initial return rate of any computer manufacturer bar none. The others miss the mark set by Shearwater by a country mile.

Yeah, I am a Shearwater fan-boy. I admit it.

dive on,
markm

Man, oh man, you are going to get a LOT of opinions here!

TOTALLY agree with Markmud. If you're new and enjoying it, either get a good quality basic <$300 computer (Aqualung, Cressi, Suunto) or go for the top of the range and get a Shearwater, particularly if you see yourself wanting to advance into tec.

I met with a Shearwater rep at the Boston Sea Rovers show last weekend, and the knowledge and attitude was top notch. If that is an indication of their product, I'm sold. That being said, I personally don't have a great interest in tec so a Cressi Leonardo serves my needs right now. I also like the fact that if it falls apart, or if a tank drops on it, or my 3 year old niece chucks it overboard while heading for shore, it's only an Amazon Prime order away.

Bear in mind, top of the range gear does not improve your diving, but if it makes you feel good, then go for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom