Undergarment buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Understood. The BZ200 vest recommendation still stands for that as you wear with your existing Bare SB. I noticed on most sites you can only buy the heated version of it now - not sure if it's discontinued or what (??) Either way, a similar vest will give you extra warmth in your core and they are not as expensive a full body suit.

What base layer are you wearing now? I wear SmartWool heavy weight base layer always with whatever drysuit undies. That makes a noticeable difference in warmth as well without needing any weight compensation.

Right now I'm just using cotton thermals. Looking to upgrade, to forth element xerotherm or Bare ultra warmth. Or something else, could be wool. Or you pick the best undergarment combination.

My only request is low buoyancy. Notice I said nothing about cost. Like most folks (maybe all) on scuba board I've have long ago passed the point where I worry about cost related to scuba. What's important is I'm diving warm and happy. This does not mean the solution will cost a lot.

If you want a full dissertation, ask me about my opinion about wool wicking layer garments. Then sit back and enjoy the ride. It'll take some time...

So, what is your opinion on the wool base layers? :) Seriously, this is a good topic.

A good wicking layer is worth its weight in gold. Or perhaps platinum. If you want a full dissertation, ask me about my opinion about wool wicking layer garments. Then sit back and enjoy the ride. It'll take some time...

Let's have it @Storker .

I'm asking the question for selfish reasons, but hopefully others can also benefit from your advice, what works best and why.

Keep in mind the question 'low buoyancy and warm undergarment combinations'?

You have the floor. :)

i run 32 pounds of total ballast with a thermal fusion and mk0 base layer in L/XL size. it is warmer than the bare ct200 imo.

the kwark navy is the one thing i would like to try out. less buoyant than the thermal fusion but might be enough insulation for me if they outperform the fourth element arctic as some others have claimed for dives under 90min.

ursuit has a new thermofill light that might be interesting too. the thermofill heavy is more buoyant than the thermal fusion iirc.

Right now I'm just using cotton thermals.

Cotton is something you usually should avoid. It retains moisture which is not a good property for wicking layer.

Any suggestions for low buoyancy and warm?

Well, I have BZ400X, Weezle extreme+, a Kwark Navy (powerstretch undergarment) and recently got a Santi heated vest.

BZ400X is very floaty when brand new. It takes about 50 dives and a wash to stabilize. It is still very warm after this break in period. You can expect that you are able to shed some weight later if you continue diving it.
Weezle extreme+ is nice. Weezle compresses much more than the Santi, so it requires less weight. But air is insulation, so you need weight to be able to keep air in your suit for insulation.
Kwark Navy is quite thin powerstretch overall. It is amazingly warm for its weight. It is really enjoyable to dive compared to real cold water suits.
If you are not diving any colder than 50F, I would definitely recommend this as your starting point.
I use 180g merino/polyester wicking layer under the Kwark Navy. I would not hesitate to plan several dives per day in 50F water with this combination.

Problem is, insulation is provided by air. And air is buoyant. Unless you buy an electrically heated undergarment, every W/m2 you gain is paid by the amount of lead on your belt.

^^^ This.

Right now I'm just using cotton thermals. Looking to upgrade, to forth element xerotherm or Bare ultra warmth. Or something else, could be wool. Or you pick the best undergarment combination.

My only request is low buoyancy. Notice I said nothing about cost. Like most folks (maybe all) on scuba board I've have long ago passed the point where I worry about cost related to scuba. What's important is I'm diving warm and happy. This does not mean the solution will cost a lot.
I feel you! I always do a lot of research on low buoyancy characteristics for everything scuba related. Probably a hold over from my competitive cycling days, where you count and measure every gram of every component on the bike in order to gain an advantage. LOL!

I use a merino wool base layer underneath my undergarment. It adds warmth, wicks away moisture and adds basically zero buoyancy.
I use the Thermal Fusion Undergarment over that base layer. I feel like this is a good combo and overall reduces my lead requirements compared to various other options I have tried or friends of mine have tried, while also providing maximum warmth for cold water diving.
The undergarment isn't cheap at $450, but I have 5 years and 500 dives with it and it is still like new! Like you, cost isn't the major issue for me. I consider it as a factor, but at the end of the day, lots of other factors outweigh it (pun intended :wink:)
Here is a link to the undergarment: Thermal Fusion

You can shop Amazon or REI for any combo of a nice wool base layer- plenty of them out there.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wool+bas...x=Wool+BAse+layer,aps,211&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_15

Do not use cotton thermals. You WILL be cold.

Washing the new Santi BZ 400 helped in my case. Not so much in weight but in marginal uncontrolled ascents from about 15’ and up (recognizing that the two are related).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom