Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would continue night operations. Lights and strobes are much easier to spot than a head or small SMB in an open ocean during daylight.
Does anybody know if SAR can get access to satellite assistance? If he has a strobe going it might be able to be detected. Unfortunately it is not a new moon, so the sea surface will be relatively bright, but maybe worth a shot ...

I wonder if he was wearing a wetsuit? In my experience many of the local DM's do not. If one were on the surface in 80*+- water how long before hyperthermia would become an issue? Wishing for a positive outcome.
Cameron was in a 5mm

Agree on this too. Anyone has news on why the air search is suspended till sunrise? Technical difficulties of some sort perhaps?
It is my understanding that night flight in Mexican airspace requires an Instrument flight plan. Flying a SAR pattern with deviations, and well below Minimum Enroute Altitudes may be more than the current resources have the authority to arrange, even if the pattern is well outside the approach/departure paths for the airports. I may be mistaken.

That's him in the middle left at our SB supper last month.
IMG_1558.JPG

That's his mom and girlfriend in the lower right corner.
IMG_1557.JPG

I keep refreshing this thread hoping to read he was found and then waiting for him to pop in this thread and tell us all about it.

While I have never met him, I have heard many stories from @RayfromTX and have participated in many of the same threads here and on posts in the Sidemount Divers Facebook group. Yet this is weighing heavily on me for some reason. I find myself thinking about him a lot and a sadness washes over me as if I am awaiting news about a very good friend. I can't explain it but this event I believe is impacting all of us due to his kindness, curiosity for all things in life and his gentle demeanor.

Thank you to @Sloeber for the updates and to all those proving SAR support. We are with you @northernone

When I met him in person I had been conversing with him regularly for many months. He had shared many stories with me and I arranged for my wife and me to meet him for dinner in Cozumel. I told my wife we were looking for a middle aged man that would appear very gentle and peaceful. I looked past the young man with the long hair and a beard. I finally asked the young hippy if he was Cameron. He was 29. I was amazed that this old soul could be so young. Since then he has helped me in so many ways. The photos he has taken of us while diving together have been amazing. I have so many Cameron stories. I was looking forward to being friends with him for the rest of my life. He is my mentor. The one I call aqua jesus. He is the man that has overcome incredible challenges and seems only motivated by finding ways to help others and explore the underwater world and the science of scuba. We must find him. This must become another Cameron story!

Update: The air search has been suspended for the evening with no signs of Cameron. I’m told the search will begin again at sunrise.

We have had divers in the water to 80-100 feet for a fair portion of the wall and found nothing, but we can use some CCR divers willing to make a 50 meter extended dive. It’s very unlikely Cameron is down there, but we should rule it out. If anyone has these skills, please contact us.

At this point the search is obviously well outside the Cozumel area, too. We need all the eyes in the sky we can get. If anyone knows any private pilots / planes in Cuba, Cancun, Houston, and Tampa / Miami please let them know we need their assistance.

A number of years ago I had friends lost off the coast of Utila, Honduras. Four days later they were found alive and well near the Florida Keys. So I fully believe we have time and will rescue our friend.

I have a few contacts at NAS Key West. I may have to go down there in person, but I'll see if I can call in a couple markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom