Hello from Tennessee!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake24

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey my name is Jake and I have never scuba dived (dove?) in my life. Always too expensive when I was going through college. Anyway, I have a ski boat and love playing on the lakes in East Tennessee and Ive always wanted to explore the depths. I doubt I would ever go past 50' deep or so. I am going to try a beginner class (only $20!) to see how I like it. A couple questions for the board if I may:

1: I found this kit online: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...2f5-9ae91aab54f2&pf_rd_r=8894J8DBR3HPWF02V3FH

Is this everything I need with the exception of the tank? Would it be an ok kit for a beginner?

2. Do I need to be open water certified to explore the lakes and be safe?

I apologize in advance for the noob questions but I guess everyone starts somewhere?

That gear on Amazon is very good gear, but why would you buy that now instead of renting for the first few dives? Is your birthday coming up and you can get it for a gift?

If you have never dove before you might want to go to your closest dive shop and follow their suggestions. The $20 beginner class sounds like it could be a promotional "Try Diving" and so the people running that probably have other classes.

When I first started there were several friends starting together so we got certified together and did a bunch of dives together, starting with borrowed gear.

Have fun!

Thanks for your reply. The closest dive shop seems to be about an hour away from where I live so its not exactly convenient as far as renting gear goes. I have not looked in to it seriously though. I also was just wanting to do this casually as something fun to do while out on the boat on the lake. The lake can be 50' deep in spots but I wasnt planning on going that deep. A grand in college was a lot of money but it is less so now that I am a little older with a decent job so spending that isnt a big issue if I have fun with it. I just want to make sure I have the right stuff and can operate it safely. Is it required or just highly recommended to be certified just to mess around casually in the lake because it looked like that would be around $450 or so for the class.

Welcome to Scubaboard Jake24. Get certified first then work slow to get some of your gear.

The dive shops in my area will not fill your tanks unless you show a C card.
Years ago when I started, the local shop was not strict so I dove a couple years before getting certified. I bought a lot of gear from them so that helped.

Ok thanks. Next time I am in Knoxville I am going to stop by the dive shop and sign up for the beginner course. I am certainly not wanting to do anything unsafe. Thanks again for the input and not screaming noob at me haha

Hi, Welcome to Scubaboard.

Before you buy gear rent gear and see if you like it.
Also, please get certified before you go diving. Also, without certification I doubt anyone will fill your tanks for you.

Be Safe. Get Trained!

It's definitely good to have contacts at your local(in your case not so local) dive shop.

They are not getting rich selling the gear and having classes, in some cases they barely limp along.
Having someone you can pick up the phone and ask questions etc is valuable for a new diver.

Some people get certified while on vacation to a tropical location, I myself would always take the class local.

Have Fun!!

Jake24 Where are you at in East Tenn? I’m in Johnson City and there’s several great dive shops nearby. Let me know and I will gladly put you in touch with a quality instructor.
Josh

Back
Top Bottom