Medical Help in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is the Cozumel forum, but I figured some people here might have connections in Cancun.

Someone from another forum I frequent is with her husband (a British and US citizen) in a hospital in Cancun due to medical emergency. The hospital apparently wants upwards of $20,000 US per day, paid up front, to move him to the ICU.

She does not speak Spanish, and has said her travel insurance company hasn't been very responsive.

Does anyone have a connection in Cancun who might be able to advise her in dealing with the hospital, or be available to help translate at the hospital? They were transferred from a private hospital to a public hospital, and she said the staff does not speak much English.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Consular Agency Cancun

(Blvd. Kukulkan Km 13,
Torre La Europea, Despacho 301 ZH
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico 77500)

The U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun is open for business Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. An appointment is required for all services such as U.S. passport applications, notarials, and other requests for in-person meetings. Please make an appointment by calling the office phone during normal office hours. Emergency cases are accepted as walk-ins.

Phone from Mexico 999 316 7168, from the U.S. (1) 844 528 6611
E-mail: ConAgencyCancun@state.gov

In the case of a life or death emergency involving a U.S. citizen occurring after close of business, please call the Merida switchboard number to be connected to the duty officer.

How to contact Consulate Merida

You may email us (AskMeridaACS@state.gov) or call the Consulate at:

Phone from Mexico 999 316 7168, from the U.S. (1) 844 528 6611

In the case of a life or death emergency involving a U.S. citizen outside of normal business hours, please call the switchboard number above and follow instructions to be connected to the duty officer.

Address:
U.S. Consulate Merida
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcala Martin Merida, Yucatan, Mexico 97050

I sent her that already, before posting here; it sounded like she had previously only been in contact with the UK embassay, but I really hope, since she is 20 hours in it was not new information for her! But thank you.

Do you know which hospital? That would help.

No, unfortunately all she's said is Amerimed transferred him to a public hospital, and they don't speak English and she does not speak Spanish. It's been a number of hours, so I really hope she's called the consulate for both countries by now. I don't know why she hesitated.

I have her email, which is her preferred method of contact due to problems with a sim card, if you know of someone who might be able to help her navigate this. (Or at least better understand the huge sums of money she is being asked for. She says she paid Amerimed 80,000 pesos and the ambulance 6,000 pesos, both of whom withheld her husband's passport until paid. She cannot afford tens of thousands of USD upfront for ICU care, but the hospital is not communicating with her insurance. She said her husband has been left unattended for long periods of time in the public hospital with no monitoring.)

I just checked another message and she said "the General hospital". Is that an actual hospital name?

Just heard from her that the US consulate has provided a translator, so I think that's the best anyone from the internet can do. She was hesitant to contact them because she is just a UK citizen.

Thanks for the replies.

OK thats good that she has a translator.

Just to put it in perspective, $86,000 pesos is $4500usd +/- - not $20,000 usd - I think the big numbers scare people and they don't really understand the conversion. $20,000 usd would be $390,000 pesos

General Hospital is the public hospital - so yes, that is what it would be called. For private hospitals in Cancun, I would recommend Hospiten or Gallena

I hope they get proper attention and this gets worked out for them.

Reactions: MMM
When I worked for a provincial health department in Canada, one of the things we stressed to people travelling out of country was the need for out-of-country private insurance. When I shattered my arm down here in Mexico, my insurers were johnny-on-the-spot. Nonetheless, I still had to use my own credit card to guarantee the charges and then claim from them. Hospitals down here don't spend much effort in dealing with insurers...they want to be sure to be paid by foreigners. Just my experience.

There are several reasons that I always buy trip insurance. This situation would be a primary one. I always read the policies to make sure that they have a "will advance funds to secure your admission to a hospital" clause.

Insurance is always ridiculously expensive, even a waste, until you need it. Then it's cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom