Medical Help in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK thats good that she has a translator.

Just to put it in perspective, $86,000 pesos is $4500usd +/- - not $20,000 usd - I think the big numbers scare people and they don't really understand the conversion. $20,000 usd would be $390,000 pesos

General Hospital is the public hospital - so yes, that is what it would be called. For private hospitals in Cancun, I would recommend Hospiten or Gallena

I hope they get proper attention and this gets worked out for them.
I think the $20,000 USD was what Amerimed told them they would need per day at the ICU, and why they were transferred to public.

Certainly, that is an extremely LOW figure compared to an American ICU.

I'll send her your private recommendation.

There are several reasons that I always buy trip insurance. This situation would be a primary one. I always read the policies to make sure that they have a "will advance funds to secure your admission to a hospital" clause.

Insurance is always ridiculously expensive, even a waste, until you need it. Then it's cheap.
Yes, I think the advance funds thing is the issue.

I've never looked for that in insurance, and suspect she did not either, as her travel insurance, though it will probably reimburse her no problem, will not pay the hospital directly. So once the husband was no longer in immediate I'm danger of dying, the hospital would no longer treat him and transferred him to a high care unit (it sounds like he might be in their ICU, as she has only been able to visit once, with very limited hours) at a public hospital.

Her insurance also covers medical evacuation, but not speaking Spanish, she's having trouble getting the hospital to file the paperwork to have medical transport back to the UK. It sounds like the translator is helping with that, so hopefully they will be sent home.

When i got put in chamber dr. Piccollos awesome wife Heidi who is american called my United healthcare and everything covered. Just shows if you end up in trouble in mexico and have no one that you can call that speaks spanish good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom