Seaskin trilam drysuit purchase simulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have come to prefer silicone seals...they are hypoallergenic, are soft, comfortable, and do not degrade the same way latex does.

Having user/field replaceable seals is a requirement for me and given the affordability of the si-tech wrist and neck systems I don't understand why anyone would desire glued in latex seals that have to be repaired by either a shop or the user cutting out and gluing in new seals. with the s-tech system one can literally be heading back to the water in minutes, no mess, no fuss, no frustration, no wasted time.

I dove a drysuit when I whitewater kayaked....the prospect of driving 2+ hours to a river only to experience a latex seal failure when putting on the suit was enough to drive me to take advantage of user/field replaceable seals systems on the drysuit I purchased for diving.

If you get the si-tech wrist system it become very easy to add a dryglove system later. If you get glued on latex seals there are add on options available as well that you can take advantage of in the future if you desire.

-Z

Seaskin is nice, but there are very good Italian drysuits made by Rofos and Divesystems for example. With all the options a Rofos probably doesn't cost that much more.

The closest Rofos comparison I could find when I bought mine was more than double. I got my Seaskin with the SiTech ovals and neck, spare seals, Trigon pee valve and all the usual pockets, the kevlar kneepads and a bunch of other small bits and pieces, the total was around 750 GBP. Bear in mind this was for a made-to-measure suit. I really like the Rofos I tried out, great suit, but not 2-3 times as good as the Seaskin.

I was quoted a Rofos350HD with sitec neck and ovals for 1500 eur (inc. VAT). Seaskin is less, especially if you can get it VAT free like it seems for most US customers.

I went through a purchase process for a basic suit, 2 pockets, pee valve and plastic zip. SiTech rings and neck seal. Price ex-VAT is 609 GBP, which is what someone outside of the EU would pay. In my case, the VAT and the shipping broke even so I paid the regular price.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.12.20.png

@RainPilot you just sold me a Seaskin, do they have a referral program :) I need a spare suit anyway and with brexit approaching I might just pull the trigger.

Some items not yet discussed here. Pocket options, bellows or expedition? Which one are closer to current Santi or Ursuit pockets (with emphasis on handling with thick gloves)?
Would you still take all the reinforcements? Which would be your optimized minimum viable reinforcements for someone who wants to keep the suit light and flexible without compromizing durability.
I see you also opt for TLS torso. Can you comment on that more?
How did you take the measurements? I have been wondering should I pay for a tailor to get the measurements to get them right.

you just sold me a Seaskin, do they have a referral program :) I

I wish.

Pocket options, bellows or expedition? Which one are closer to current Santi or Ursuit pockets (with emphasis on handling with thick gloves)?

I got the medium bellows, very close to the same size as my Apeks Shorts pockets and the standard Rofos pockets I have seen. I don't dive with thick gloves but the tabs are pretty well sized, i can't see there being a problem.

Would you still take all the reinforcements? Which would be your optimized minimum viable

The reinforcement is a very thin layer of PVC, it doesn't add noticeably to the bulk at all. It's more for abrasion when sitting on concrete surfaces etc. I don't know that they are necessary per se but the shoulder ones I can see helping to reduce wear from the harness.

I see you also opt for TLS torso. Can you comment on that more?

The Rofos suit had that, to allow for easier donning of the suit over a bulky undergarment, I have never dived a suit without it so I can't really speak to it.

How did you take the measurements?

I used this: How to measure yourself for a drysuit - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits
I had a friend help with some of them but really no big deal. My suit came out just fine. If you order an undergarment at the same time, they will use the same measurements and also if needed adjust the suit size (if you order a massive undergarment for example). I used mine with a Whites Fusion which is pretty bulky and no fit issues.

If you PM me with a WhatsApp number I can send you pics of the various bits on my suit if you'd like.

with brexit approaching I might just pull the trigger.
I am thinking the same, after brexit will be finalized there could be additional custom duties costs
The reinforcement is a very thin layer of PVC, it doesn't add noticeably to the bulk at all

If you order an undergarment at the same time, they will use the same measurements and also if needed adjust the suit size (if you order a massive undergarment for example).

Was considering buying the reinforcement but I think I won't
Do you think it's worth it to buy an undergarment from them together with the drysuit both in terms of price and quality? For sure that would save shipping costs since it would be shipped with the suit
What kind of undergarments do they have and suitable for which temperatures?
Thanks

Honestly, even in the worst case Brexit the duty for importing water sports equipment to EU would be only 2,7% and VAT would be your local instead of UK VAT. Most probably there will not be any duties at all between EU and UK. The change will be small, but it is a good reason to order a drysuit anyway :)

Honestly, even in the worst case Brexit the duty for importing water sports equipment to EU would be only 2,7% and VAT would be your local instead of UK VAT. Most probably there will not be any duties at all between EU and UK. The change will be small, but it is a good reason to order a drysuit anyway :)

So it would be 2,7% import duties + 2% VAT difference (22% Italy vs 20% UK) total additional costs 4,7%
So for example in the simulation above it would be 34,35 pounds on top of the price, still not bad anyway
If any of you in countries like Switzerland or US (if understand well) can get a VAT tax refund it's even cheaper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom