Best Time of Year to Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next year. We will be going to the big island and Maui. I'm an underwater photographer, which is my main reason for going. What would be the best time of year to go for visibility, etc.? The earliest we could go is in mid-April.

There's probably no bad time weather wise but the north shore of some of the islands get battered by big waves in winter which shuts down diving.

I've been there in spring, summer and early fall and there's more kids in summer - esp. near Kaanapali where a lot of the big resorts/condo towers are. We like south Maui for that reason - also many of the beaches are shore dives. IMO summer/fall were more humid but it's always humid there pretty much anytime.

One thing to avoid on Kona is Ironman weeks - prices are higher and availability isn't as good. This year the race itself is June 1, 2019.

pre-book a car on Kona - walkup rates are outrageous.

You might also consider going during the humpback migration - although you can't legally approach them in the water. It's from around Jan 1st to mid-May. You 'll see them on the ride over from Maui - some boats stop to see if they'll approach. Sometimes traffic slows on the road between west and south Maui - people pull off when they're spotted. Take a long lens.

The vis in the water can be astounding. Sometimes you almost strain your eyes looking into the blue - I'm sure I've seen over 200' horizontal at times off Molokini. Probably the same vertically except where we dive it's usually shallower. One boat we were on told us not to stare too long, they've had people get vertigo.

I think the best time to go is whenever you can go!

Whale season is amazing to both see the whales topside, but also hear the song while diving. Sometimes you’re lucky enough to have an underwater encounter, which is always fantastic.

I'm thinking of connecting this trip with my planned return to Lembeh next year, and possibly Tulamben. If Southwest keeps their cheap fares to Hawaii (and fixes the planes), it would make a nice trip. I would like to go in October to tie in with the Marine Pixels annual meeting.

I live on the Big Island and prefer diving spring through early winter as I just like the warmer water temps.
But for reference, I was fine diving this weekend with no suit; water temps were in the mid 70's. Had a pod of about 70 spinner dolphins join us for the part of the dive, so that was a plus.

One thing to avoid on Kona is Ironman weeks - prices are higher and availability isn't as good. This year the race itself is June 1, 2019.

The Ironman World Championship is Oct. 12, 2019 in Kona.

We're arriving Oahu August 12, & Maui August 19.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom