Shearwater Desktop vs Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been a desktop version of Cloud. Is THAT going away?

To clarify, there has been Cloud with mobile and PC versions, and then there was the Shearwater desktop software. Is it just the later that’s going away?

I have set up the program on both my iPhoneXR and my Mac laptop, and have downloaded my Shearwater to both of them. Now how do i import from my Shearwater program? Seem to have figured out how to import 1 dive at time but I have 300+ dives to import from the Shearwater program. Earlier dives are from an old Petral that I have sold

Me, too. I really want something that works without a network connection. I guess I'll revert to my paper log or devise something for my laptop.
Cloud works just fine without a connection to the internet. If you DO have the connection, then you have a chance to synchronize among devices and have a backup site for your data.

Besides my eyes liking the non-dark interface of the older "Desktop" (Yes I know dark is all the rage but I don't like being forced into dark mode) -- How do you update the firmware, Start up text and start up image on the computer? I haven't found those functions in the Cloud version yet.

I like the Cloud on my phone, but not my Mac. Their deskstop version just works better. I have looked at MacDive, but just seems to have a lot of bells and whistles I don't need.

Desktop has always been solid from day one. No issues at all.
Cloud was developed later than desktop and to be honest has had a number of issues.
The latest version just released has now solved my problem of being unable to delete dives permanently. Now I just have the problem of some OC dives being reported as CC.
Were it not for the desktop version I would have stopped using shearwater software altogether and found an alternative.

I had a lot of issues with cloud but maybe I’ll have to try again.

No. Can't print yet. It's on my list, too, bc doing a screen print in that dark background uses all my ink.

Well I hope desktop continues to work going forward.

I have really tried to use Cloud. Total Fail so far with hours of trying over many month and updates. Multiple phones and pc's used.
  • Horibly slow on both Android and and PC importing, syncing, or loading my database of several hundred dives. Minutes of waiting.
  • I have never been able to sync and download dives from my Predators and Petrel2 comp. Both Android and PC version will connect the computer but hang or error out attempting to transfer.

Me, too. I really want something that works without a network connection. I guess I'll revert to my paper log or devise something for my laptop.

Am I glad to see these posts. I thought it was just me. I have lost dives, have dives numbered incorrectly, and can't get the pc cloud and Android cloud to sync the way I need. I can get the dives loaded into my pc cloud software, but when I try to get that info into my phone, it has failed every time. Enough so that I don't even try anymore. Very disappointing. I'm glad the computer works so well... or does it??????

Cheers -

I like the Cloud on my phone, but not my Mac. Their deskstop version just works better. I have looked at MacDive, but just seems to have a lot of bells and whistles I don't need.

MacDive is so much better. Syncs with iCloud or Dropbox effortlessly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom