Snorkeling in Key Largo, Need Some Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm taking the family snorkeling (kids are too young, not cert. to dive) in Key Largo. Is there any place that would allow me to take off the life vest? I've called a few places, but seems they all require it 100% of the time when in the water.

Funny, as I see a lot of the advertisement pictures with people snorkeling underwater WITHOUT the vest.

In the Dominican we just had to sign a waiver before getting in.

I'd much rather be diving, but I'll be hanging out with the little ones. I just want to have the freedom to dive down and look.

Thanks.

Actually, after some more research it seams that they are inflatable....so you can dive with one on as long as you don't inflate it?

Sorry, I'm a diver....never been snorkeling before:D

Hey @rob.mwpropane , almost all snorkel shops that are in the keys do require the use of a snorkel vest while in the water. This is usually a high vis, inflatable jacket that goes around the back and between the legs. It airs up like manually inflating your BCD.

Here's a link to recreational boat and life jacket laws in Florida.

As for snorkel shops, we recommend Paradise Island, Keys Diver, or Sundivers. All 3 are great, local shops!

Hey @rob.mwpropane , almost all snorkel shops that are in the keys do require the use of a snorkel vest while in the water. This is usually a high vis, inflatable jacket that goes around the back and between the legs. It airs up like manually inflating your BCD.

Here's a link to recreational boat and life jacket laws in Florida.

As for snorkel shops, we recommend Paradise Island, Keys Diver, or Sundivers. All 3 are great, local shops!

Can you go under with these type "jackets"? I don't care about wearing one for vis, as long as it doesn't restrict movement under water.

They have no buoyancy if not inflated.

They will only float you if you add air.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom