Base Layer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterGal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I just ordered a DUI Flx Extreme, and Fourth Element Xerotherm and Halo3D - it was suggested by dive shop that I get a more washable base layer forunder the Xerotherm - the Fourth Element J2Base is pretty pricey at $200 for a set - has anyone else used the Xerotherm/Halo3D combo and what did you use as your base layer. I'll be diving Nor Cal but get really really cold

Lot of the guys here swear by merino wool. Washable and handles odors well. I love my REI brand merino wool base layer.

Just buy some merino wool base layers . I like Icebreaker but there are many others. You do NOT need dive - specific ones..

I use the Xerotherm set under my drysuit for insulation.
I wear a merino wool base layer + socks under it. It works really well.
This is the setup that was recommended to me when I got the suit.

REI, LL Bean, XGO have some great base layers. Depending on the diving temps, you may want to look into a light and heavy set. I have some from Santi as well that I like and are comfortable against the skin.

-Eric

Just buy some merino wool base layers . I like Icebreaker but there are many others. You do NOT need dive - specific ones..
Another vote for merino wool from icebreaker. Keeps you dry and doesn’t smell like synthetics do.

Ok, I just ordered a DUI Flx Extreme, and Fourth Element Xerotherm and Halo3D - it was suggested by dive shop that I get a more washable base layer forunder the Xerotherm - the Fourth Element J2Base is pretty pricey at $200 for a set - has anyone else used the Xerotherm/Halo3D combo and what did you use as your base layer. I'll be diving Nor Cal but get really really cold

Merino wool is going to run close to $200 for top and bottom together, but it's good stuff. With it being end of season, you will probably able to find some sales

Another vote for wool. As I've been saying - ad nauseam - for the last five or so years. No fiber above, no fiber at the side if you plan on getting damp or wet at moderate or low activity levels.

Me, I'm in love with wool mesh, but if you can't get that, at least use a thin wool garment - of any kind - as your base/wicking layer. You'll never regret it, at least if you find a quality that doesn't itch for you. As an added bonus, it won't stink like synthetics do after a year or so of use.

Back
Top Bottom