Seeking advice regarding high end regs also for tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moodiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask for some advice regarding high end regulators which can be used for tec diving.
Currently I am just an AOWD with a few dozens of dives, but that is going to change end of the year.
My schedule allows me to stay in SE Asia for a few month and I hope venture into tec diving.
Now what I am looking for is a suitable regulator. Temperature wise pretty much everything except arctic waters. Money is not much of a problem.
It should be OK with Trimix, Nitrox. I read about regulators made by Poseidon, AA, Scubapro. I also read somewhere that some combine 1st and 2nd´s of other brands ... is that true and if yes, why? For example a MK25 Evo A700 with a Poseidon 2nd ? Why ?
You guys probably know A LOT more than me and that is why I ask for your advice

Thanks

Most current mid-or-higher priced regs from reputable manufacturers are more than capable, and you probably won't notice any difference. That said, I'm an Apeks fanboi. XTX50/40 if you're on a budget, 100 or 200 if you want more bling and money is less of an issue

As a bonus, Apeks regs are quite cold-water capable.

As storker said, most good brands have good regulators.

If you go into tec the hose routing from the first stages is something to listen to the experienced divers about.

I am a Poseidon fan myself, but i dive a mix of first and second stages, mostly i dive jetstream seconds but with various firs stages. some hate the jetstream/xstream, others love them, its all about preferences.

If money is not an issue i would use xstream seconds combined with xstream or apex first depending on need for hose routing.

Some seconds (like poseidon cyklon) use unusual intermediate pressure and can not be combined with other seconds or some first stages.

What also is an thing to think about is service, if you have many regulators, it can be nice if you can get them serviced not to faarfrom where you are located, or have the possibility to get servicekits if you like to do ther service yourself. also its nice to not have to many different models of regulators to keep spare parts for.

I am relatively new to this whole mixing stages thing.... is there any good website where I can get some information on which stages can be mixed and the benefits of it ?

I dive Poseidon, Dive Rite, and Hog regs... and like them all for different reasons.

I would probably avoid mixing first and second stage brands for the time being. The advantage is really for when you have really specific needs, and do a lot of swapping around gear configurations for different situations.

You can simply avoid some Hassle and get a matching set of regs that suits your needs.

I am relatively new to this whole mixing stages thing.... is there any good website where I can get some information on which stages can be mixed and the benefits of it ?

1. Atomic M1

2. Scubapro: Mk25/s600/a700/g260

3. Apeks xtx50

I stay away from "mixing brands" for first and second stages. It becomes a pain when you have to do service and getting parts for the different brands/models. I prefer one brand/one model for less headache when trying to find somebody to service, supply parts or troubleshoot.

To borrow a phase from Henry Ford:
Any brand as long as it is Apeks.

The ARCAP in FSR(XTX200) is very useful in long term.
DST + XTX50 will save some money.
Both the DST and FSR can accommodate the 5th port so better routing on the twin set.
DS4 is also quite common for serious tec divers.
As far as I am concern they all breath the same!.

Dead simple to service as well. No special tool require except the C-spanner.

No problem with mixing different brand stages assuming the second stage is tuned too the IP of that specific first stage. Of course there are exceptions (cyklon). I regularly service reg sets with mismatched brand stages with no issues.

That being said it will be much easier for you from a service standpoint to own all the same brand. Any of the big name brands will have a high quality reg to suit your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom