Where is Olympus going U/W and above?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too was hoping for a full frame camera from Olympus. Similar to what Panasonic has done. The M1x is just too big, housings will be DSLR sized and priced. A full frame version (they have patents on FF lenses) ala Pany would have been cool but there probably are too many FF mirrorless out there now.
BVA

What a great idea! The $$$ are my issue at 1800 it is beyond my meager means.
Are you and Chris Ross independently wealthy?

I don't know about being wealthy, but I can afford to buy good gear. If you're worried about costs check out prices on full frame housings, wide angle zooms and 230mm domes needed to get the best out of them! Dome size is basically proportional sensor size because the DOF on a given image is greater on the small sensor it can pull the edge of the virtual image into focus. m43 is sweet spot for image quality vs expense for me.

What port do you use with the 9-18? - that can make a difference - unfortunately Olympus mix up recommendations for the lenses between the old E-series EP-04 dome with adapter and the new EP-02 and only have the required extension rings for the old e-series port if you wanted to use the Oly 7-14 or 12-40. You could probably use the EP-04 with adapter with your 9-18 based on both the EP-04 plus adapter and the EP-02 being recommended for the 8mm f1.8 fisheye. the EP-04 will probably cost about $1200 here but you might get a better deal out of Japan. You could try contacting this guy and asking about options for your housing: UWdigitalcamera.com I've dealt with him before and he is very good to deal with. He has the INON dome listed: UWdigitalcamera.com :: DSLRcamera housings :: OLYMPUS :: Lens port :: INON dome port-II for OLYMPUS PT-E housing

I use for my omd em5 mk2 3 lenses:
-Panasonic 8mm fisheye. This is for wide angle and is really good in caves
-12-50 kitlens +saga+10 diopter and flipadapter. Now you have whole range lens including macro. I only find 12mm too narrow for real wide angle
-60mm marcolens +Saga+10 diopter with flipadapter. This is pure macro and super macro.

I have a port for 12-50 and 60mm, this is the same port. On the 12-50 I have somegear.
And I have a dome port for the fisheye.
With this I can do the whole range what I need under water.
If you don't know what you are going to see, the 12-50+sage+10+flipadapter is most versatile.

-12-50 kitlens +saga+10 diopter and flipadapter. Now you have whole range lens including macro. I only find 12mm too narrow for real wide angle
-60mm marcolens +Saga+10 diopter with flipadapter. This is pure macro and super macro.

I have a port for 12-50 and 60mm, this is the same port. On the 12-50 I have somegear.
If you don't know what you are going to see, the 12-50+sage+10+flipadapter is most versatile.
NICE! Very similar setup with only difference the cmc macro lens and the 4" semidome from Nauticam which I use for both the 12-50mm and 60mm. Very versatile the 12-50mm but a bit soft so i keep it at its sweet spot f/8. I also prefer the 3.5" dome for the 8mm as it is smaller and with some cropping I can manage to do some larger nudis CFWA! One medium size port one very small port and 3 very small lenses. Best uw setup in my opinion especially for traveling!
Andrea

Nice call Germie and I can see why that works.
On another thing, I am enjoying the 30mm macro lens and wondering what size diopter + flip adapter would suit that lens? I find it useful for close up 1/2 and fish stuff which is 90% of what I am doing atm..Following on from Chris' post I think I will leave WACF for another lifetime!!!

Nice call Germie and I can see why that works.
On another thing, I am enjoying the 30mm macro lens and wondering what size diopter + flip adapter would suit that lens? I find it useful for close up 1/2 and fish stuff which is 90% of what I am doing atm..Following on from Chris' post I think I will leave WACF for another lifetime!!!
I have the isotta housing and ports.

Isotta has a special shorter port for the 30mm, but i know from others it fits and works well in the 12-50/60 port ( same port for 2 lenses).

I have the saga + 10 diopter. Flipadapter from Aquacam.nl

Here some pictures, a boring brown fresh water mussel. But nice to see that the diopter works nice. I agree the 60mm is slightly sharper, but if you dont know what you are going to find I prefer the 12-50 and diopter.

Taken with 12-50+diopter on 50mm

FB-IMG-1551714307157.jpg

Here the 60mm macro:
FB-IMG-1551714301775.jpg

And here 60mm plus saga +10 diopter:

FB-IMG-1551714297157.jpg

And an example of the 8 mm fisheye in caves. I dont use strobes, i only use china videolights. Here 3 used, 2 on camera and one behind.

received-230595577856282.jpg

I'm another Oly users, have EM1Mk1 and EM5Mk1 with Nauticam housings with a 6" dome port, Macro port 65 for 60mm, and semi dome port; allow me to use my 7-14mm, 60 mm macro, 12-50 mm and 12-40mm (at 12 mm only), Inon UCL165M67 diopter and Aquako IV.
Mostly use the 7-14mm for WA or 60 mm macro. Some time I bring both cameras - nice to have wife as your buddy - good enough to shoot from skeleton shrimp or lady bug to manta ray or reefscape. What else ?
All can be put into my Camsafe V17 backpack and a cabin size luggage.
So far not interested with EMx or migrate to FF - I'm not demanding user though.
For top side, EM1 + 12-40mm is my typical lens; hang on my neck and the EM5+70-300 in my backpack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom