Which wing do I need ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moodiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

recently I came across two posting ( one forums post and one technical review ) , unfortunately not in English, so a copy paste would not work.
Here is the thing one person asked how many lbs , kg he needed to consider for his new wing.
He calculated 18kg and thought of buying a 25kg max for future upgrades. To cut the discussion short... somebody mentioned he should consider a buddy in need ( worst case ) without any airflow and no led to dispatch and buy a wing size which could support him and a buddy.
Since I am all in for safety I liked his idea.... then I came across that technical review and somehow I could not figure out how to make his statement work with their numbers.
14,5kg single tank wing or sidemount double tank
20,4kg double tank
27,2kg double tank , not recommended for single tank
42,6kg used for 4 tanks and more

What confuses me is what do I do if I mount a single tank and still would like to be able to fully compensate my buddy since 27,2kg is already not a recommended single tank wing?

I don´t have a wing yet and I am relatively new to diving ( AOWD + a few dozens of dives ) but going to venture into Tec soon. If possible I would like to have a wing for single and double tank on vacation without bringing two systems along.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Let’s cut to the chase - What sort of diving are you going to do? Tropical/cold? Steel tanks/aluminum? Diving wet/dry?

using the same wing for single and double tank does not work well. get separate wings or go sidemount.

the larger double tank wing is better for 8 inch tanks. smaller one for 7 inch.

Currently a wetsuit 7mm plus inlay for colder water or 3mm for SE Asia. I haven´t bought a dry suit yet and so far I am OK with it. But there might be a need to do so since tec will keep me under water for much longer. I use aluminum tanks, but I do not own them, so changing to steel tanks should not be the problem.

If you really want to overthink things, you can do as I did.

Can your wing float your rig alone? With a full tank, what's this the net buoyancy of your rig incl tank and whatever other stuff attached to your rig? For me, worst case my rig needs more than 30#, but less than 40# to float. So I ended up with a 40# wing.

Whatever your rig's buoyancy, any additional weight required to make you neutral goes on the belt. And what you need is what you need.

I've been diving the my original Halcyon 30# wing for over ten years. I had the 20# version for a while, which was nice for 3mm/warm water diving, but not enough of an advantage to keep both, so I sold it. If I was going to be diving only 7mm suits I might consider the 40, but those are dry suit temps for me. I used a 40# Evolve when I was diving doubles. Unless I was diving larger doubles than I'm willing to carry I would not consider anything larger. Extra flotation on the surface would be provided by an SMB or lift bag, not an oversized wing.

@Moodiver I have no clue where you are looking for information but look at when it was posted. High capacity doubles wings were popular in the early to mid 2000's but are out of vogue now. Do an online search of balanced rig, there are some YouTube videos on the subject.

You can use a doubles wing with a single tank, BUT it will drag and be difficult to vent. Most newer divers think a BP/W is a universal solution but it is not. You need separate wings for singles and doubles. Some people even have separate wings for singles warm water and cold.

I could be wrong but I know of no agency that recommends having enough buoyancy to for both you and your buddy. If you are going into tech diving both you and your buddy should have redundant buoyancy or dive a balanced rig.

I think you are jumping the gun on tech diving. Get a single wing BP/W rig first and dive it. Then once you have more experience and training then go into doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom