Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we can send countless divers to asia to do dives as dangerous as they were to save people, but we can't shine a laser at an airplane? You must be kidding me...

So we can send countless divers to asia to do dives as dangerous as they were to save people, but we can't shine a laser at an airplane? You must be kidding me...
Point one into your own eye & see how you like it.*

*No don't actually do this or you might be blind as a result.

Calgary Laser Blinds Police Helicopter Pilot, Man Arrested

Laser temporarily blinds QLD police helicopter pilot | Daily Mail Online

What Pilots See When You Shine a Laser Pointer at Aircraft

If as a lost and drifting diver I had the ability to get the attention of an aircraft by temporarily blinding a pilot or crewman, I would do it in a second. Hell, If I had one, I would be just as happy firing a SAM at the aircraft in order to get it's attention. It's not going to be my fault that they didn't notice me:76feet:

Michael

Look, from a few miles away, in the bobbing water, you're not going to be able to keep it on their eye for any length of time. All they would see is a quick flash. It's not going to be like sitting in center field at a baseball game pointing it into the catchers face.

Pilots and lasers don't mix. Really, they don't. This may surprise you but if a pilot feels in danger they will leave. I have been there for helivacs that did not activate, or RTBd for unfavorable or hazardous conditions when a critically injured person needed them. More than once.

The OWSI I used to DM for has a basic signal mirror tucked in with his DSMB. While limited to sunlight and requires line of sight, it is easy to use and aim while bobbing on the surface and is very effective. You can shine this in any searcher's eyes. It's usually basic kit for any SAR team.

So let's say that I don't have a green light that has a very small beam width, but instead I have a white light that is very intense. If I shine the white light in their eyes they come and the green light they don't? Hmmmm…..

Pilots and lasers don't mix. Really, they don't. This may surprise you but if a pilot feels in danger they will leave. I have been there for helivacs that did not activate, or RTBd for unfavorable or hazardous conditions when a critically injured person needed them. More than once.

The OWSI I used to DM for has a basic signal mirror tucked in with his DSMB. While limited to sunlight and requires line of sight, it is easy to use and aim while bobbing on the surface and is very effective. You can shine this in any searcher's eyes. It's usually basic kit for any SAR team.
Yup. For nice sunny days, your best bet is one of these:
amkrescueflash_mini_LRG.jpg

and when it isn't sunny, it is a strobe such as one of these:
siriusmiltacstrobe.jpg

If lasers were a good idea, they would be included in the SAR gear for military aircrew or in the seat packs in ejection seats.

So let's say that I don't have a green light that has a very small beam width, but instead I have a white light that is very intense. If I shine the white light in their eyes they come and the green light they don't? Hmmmm…..

The extremely intense white lights like the ones in rescue strobes are not directional so you don't "aim" them at the aircraft. They are bright enough to get the SAR observer's attention without putting the aircrew at risk.

You ask "But why not instead a small green laser ...". Because shining a laser at an aircraft is a monumentally bad thing to do. Even a very small laser has the potential to blind (even temporarily) the pilot or the searcher if it happens to hit their eyes. In a worst case scenario, this can result in the loss of the aircraft and all aboard.

Before anyone says "Oh come on, aren't you being a bit dramatic?", the answer is an emphatic NO! I am not.

[...]

I would STRONGLY suggest that you find an alternative to a laser.
+1 on this one.
It is illegal to point a laser toward an aircraft ... in many places
Much better a signaling mirror which can easili be pointed or a strobe at night.
Sorry these do not work in cloudy bright sky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom