Triton Bay and Forgotten Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindysoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!
I posted in the Liveaboards forum asking about 3 separate liveaboards but also asked about Triton Bay and Forgotten Islands.

Not sure if anyone here is browsing the posts there, but if you have any experience with both locations, would you mind commenting? I don't want to copy-paste my post in Liveaboards forum in case that is a huge no-no... Apologies, not 100% sure what is Scubaboard etiquette since my looking for help covers both forums on here...

Moderator: Can I post a link to that post here, or...? Sorry if I am causing you a headache with this question. Just don't want to piss anyone off... :wink:

I guess both locations are that uncommon that no one can share their experience?

I've been to both. Conditions were less than ideal when I was in Triton Bay, so I didn't see the best the area has to offer. Life was rich, water was green, but I missed the huge concentrations of fish the area is known for. You'll find some reviews on SB for Triton Bay that will give you some idea. I'm planning to go back this year as it seems like one of the last truly wild places. As for the Forgotten Islands, Kai Islands, Tamimbar Islands are very pretty with great vis and good but not amazing fish life. I'd probably say choose Raja if you haven't been because the diving is consistently excellent. Alternatively, choose Triton Bay before it becomes Raja and everyone is there.

Hey reubencahn, thanks for the reply! What time of year did you go to Triton Bay?

Great, thanks.

I'm on a plane heading home from a Triton Bay trip. As is the case, dive quality is weather dependent in Triton Bay and we had bad weather and rough seas outside the bay. We spent most of one day with a whale shark, which is not why we wanted to dive Triton Bay. We dived two incredibly fishy sites with tons of beautiful coral, but the visibility was poor. We have done 11 trips to the area and decided to take a chance on Triton Bay, but it didn't turn out that well. We started from Sorong and the Raja sites were also terrible visibility wise. One difference that made us want to go to Triton, no lining up with 5 other boats at each dive site.

We have many friends who have spent many years diving the entire route from Komodo to Raja. They did not recommend the Forgotten Islands trip.

Hey scorpiofish! Thanks for the reply! Here I thought I was in luck to find a Liveaboard right when I happen to be in Asia. I have dived in other areas before incl Komodo and Sipadan, so I'll be a bit disappointed if it turns out bad. Although, much like the Aurora Borealis trip I did 2 weeks ago, you can never get a guarantee with Mother Nature :wink:

Can you tell me which boat you were on and what you thought of it?

Best,
C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom