PDC or COZ ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VWJarhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was dead set on a trip to Placencia to dive with whale sharks but had to be smart and reconsider due to still being a novice diver and having a partner on the nervous side. We are OW PADI but not AOW so that trip will have to wait a little bit and were OK with that. By the way got some great advice and directions on that thread, THANK YOU to all who gave feed back.
So the dilemma now is PDC or COZ or BOTH. Is there really that big of a difference in the diving to make a ferry trip and relocate half way into our trip? Plane is booked so trip is a go. Thought was May 19-22 in Coz with 2 days in the water and get AOW while there then ferry back to PDC for "vacation / beach time" till 25th. I believe I am leaning towards DRESSELL due to price point and AOW course as a freebie with booking. Ive heard about the limited bottom times but like I said still novice so that's OK at least for now... Does anyone have any experience with their quality of instruction / guidance? Also, If we stay at a Air BNB can we still get access to the resort piers for pick up?
Never been to Mexico so this is a first...any tips or pointers appreciated. THANKS!

In my limited experience Cozumel is much, much better than the mainland unless you want to dive Cenotes, which I don’t think you do.

I would go as far as saying not to bother diving on the mainland, however if you are new divers then it will all seem amazing, but start with the mainland.

The whale shark trips are snorkling, not diving. Probably the saddest trip on the water I have every had, with literally dozens of boats chasing two or three whalesharks.

We dove with Papa hogs on Coz recently and my gf did her check out dives down there and loved it, their process are pretty similar to everyone else from my research. They're super friendly and the DMs are good. Their Cafe also has delicious food.

Personally I'd choose to dive on Coz but if you want to do beach time the beaches in playa are those white sand tropical types that a beautiful

I have been on a few ocean dives off the Yucatan coast near Playa del Carmen and many in the waters around Cozumel. Without question, the diving is hugely better around Cozumel. The only things the PdC has that Cozumel doesn't is schools of tarpon and the occasional big shark. What Cozumel has that PdC doesn't is a long list of terrain features such as coral pinnacles, walls, and swimthroughs. I would never go to that region and dive on the PdC side.

As always, YMMV and DSFDF.

I believe I am leaning towards DRESSELL due to price point and AOW course as a freebie with booking.
I've not heard anything good about Dressell. Also, the AOW course can be very good....but probably not if it is given away. Looking for the cheapest instruction is not likely the best path toward quality learning....

The diving in Cozumel is LIGHT years better than the mainland. As someone else said, beaches are better there, but the ones here are serviceable. Most dive ops in Coz are superior to those you will encounter anywhere as it is highly competitive. I like the vibe better also; PDC is a madhouse, IMO. If you do Air B&B you will most likely be in town. There are a half-dozen or so ops that pick up at the downtown pier but for most, you will have to go to the caleta, which is about a $110 peso cab ride. If you are not a hotel guest, few if any will allow you to access their piers for boat pick up. Mostly it's a security issue for their guests. I think that for the brief period of time that you will be here, you are better off picking one location to stay (find out first if they allow other boats to pick you up there or if they force you to use their on site op) and then book your dive op from there. If you use the board search function, you can type in Dressell and view any comments/reviews. (check the box that says "search this forum only")

If you just want to relax by the ocean on your non-diving days I would just stay in Cozumel. The water is much nicer in most spots for snorkeling, and many beaches are nice too.

To me, the main draws to PDC/Mayan Riviera would be: (1) Mayan ruins (although Cozumel has an under-rated town of ruins called San Gervasio - smaller than Coba or Chichen Itza, but still decent, but skip El Cedral ruins the size of a 2 car garage surrounded by tourist trap shops), (2) Cenote diving (which, given your experience level, would probably be better saved for another trip), (3) Night Life - Cozumel can be fairly quiet once the cruise ships leave, which is great to me, but may bore folks into the club scene.

We like using AirBnB on Cozumel, especially since there are so many great restaurants with reasonable prices that the All-Inclusive Resorts hold no lure for us. You will have to check with your Dive Op (I haven't heard of Dressel) to see the best way to meet them. We were in Cozumel last week diving with Tres Pelicanos, and we would just go to their dive shop in downtown and ride with them to and from the marina, which worked out great. You could always just drive yourself to the marina also (Thrifty and Rentadora Isis are the most recommended rental car places, and we've had good experiences with both -- recommend taking the full insurance coverage, which will make even smallest cars $30-$40 a day).

Is there really that big of a difference in the diving to make a ferry trip and relocate half way into our trip? Plane is booked so trip is a go. Thought was May 19-22 in Coz with 2 days in the water and get AOW while there then ferry back to PDC for "vacation / beach time" till 25th.
I've done the ferry and hotel change part way thru a trip, to dive Coz first, Cenotes next, then to Holbox for whale sharks. You're not ready for Cenotes I don't think; have you done any night dives yet? I think it's too early to swim with Dominoes in May in the Yucatan, depending on when they actually show up. You only have a 6 day trip and 2 of that devoted to training? I'd just stay on Coz and enjoy the superior diving after you finish training. If you like beaches, they're easy to find on Coz - beach clubs on the channel and the whole length of the east side.

Never been to Mexico so this is a first...any tips or pointers appreciated.
Got DAN dive insurance? Got trip insurance? Got Swimmers Ear liquid medicine? All are essential in my opinion. Use the drops early and often. If you wait until you get swimmers ear, it'll be too late for those drops and time to see a doctor. I try to avoid those, altho I like getting my teeth cleaned while in Coz.

The whale shark trips are snorkling, not diving. Probably the saddest trip on the water I have every had, with literally dozens of boats chasing two or three whalesharks.
Scuba diving is done with Dominoes in some places. I don't know about Placencia, or where you have your sad experience. When the herd moves up north around Isla Mujeres to Holbox, there are plenty that boats don't have to gang up on any.

I haven't been on a dive in Cozumel, but I wanted to chime in about Dressel Divers based at the Barcelo Maya a little ways out from PDC. They were phenomenal! We absolutely loved them. We got our OW certifications through them. So, I am not sure if the Dressel Divers on Cozumel has lower reviews or something, but you can count us as happy customers of the Puerto Aventuras location!

Now, that being said, even our instructors there said the diving was much better in Cozumel. They recommended that next time we come out for recreational diving we just stay out there on the island.

For an upcoming trip to Coz we've booked a 2-bedroom AirBnB 2.5 blocks from the Tres Pelicanos shop; they'll drive us down to the Caleta. We're not renting a car this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom