Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If seas start getting too big the process of coming back on board gets less than friendly so 3 engine revs in a row can be hear easily.
I assume that you usually dive without a hood, or that your hood is rather thin?

With a proper cold-water hood, it's nearly impossible for me to hear any boat engine unless it's more or less directly above me and I'm at a fairly shallow depth. That's why a thunderflash or two has been rather popular inventory in many dive leader cases around here. That BANG! as it goes off in the water is difficult not to hear. These days, with fewer and fewer being drafted, and with the military having made it quite a bit more difficult to "organize" stuff like that, more and more clubs have to find other ways to recall divers.

The point I am trying to make is that the average bystander, hell even the knowledgable bystander, isn’t going to know the precipitating event or even the heart rhythm, so there is zero need to make a decision whether or not to apply an AED in an emergency. It is a no brainer. If it’s available put it on. It may or may not shock. Even if it does correct the rhythm it may not last. This is the reality of resuscitation, especially out of hospital.

So back to the original question, just because an AED was applied does not equate a cardiac event nor as pointed out that a shock was even delivered.

Completely agree, as I said in all my posts, always apply the AED, just don't automatically think it's malfunctioning if it isn't saying shock, but AEDs are really useful in CPR for other reasons too, to help keep track of your pace (they will tell you to speed up or slow down or if you aren't pressing hard enough) recommend switching rescuers after 2 minutes etc. They are great reminders (especially for pace!) People who don't give compressions frequently, even with songs, will tend to either speed up or slow down with the stress.

Everyone loses track of time in a code, unless you have a record keeper. (and if you have an extra person, try to get them to keep a quick running summary of times etc! :) There will be times where it has felt like a code went on forever and it was only 10 min, or 45 min flies by before you can blink

I assume that you usually dive without a hood, or that your hood is rather thin?

With a proper cold-water hood, it's nearly impossible for me to hear any boat engine unless it's more or less directly above me and I'm at a fairly shallow depth. That's why a thunderflash or two has been rather popular inventory in many dive leader cases around here. That BANG! as it goes off in the water is difficult not to hear. These days, with fewer and fewer being drafted, and with the military having made it quite a bit more difficult to "organize" stuff like that, more and more clubs have to find other ways to recall divers.
Yeah is rare for the local waters to go much bellow 75 F. Also we get as close to the flag as possible without getting tangled in order to rev the engine. We hear it around 120' or so. Very loud and clear around 60-80'

With a proper cold-water hood, it's nearly impossible for me to hear any boat engine unless it's more or less directly above me and I'm at a fairly shallow depth.

Thats been my experience, but I spent some time in an engine room so my hearing isn't the best anyway.

A boat I was on had a horn noisemaker that worked quite well, kind of like the one on the Flipper TV show only louder. I heard it more than 500 yds away at depth with a 7mm hood and heard it distinctly. They said they had a recall signal at the dive briefing and although they just described it as a noise in a regular pattern, when it happened it was easy to figure out.

The anchor slipped and the skipper wanted anyone left in the water to have there head up and counted before maneuvering.

Bob

I don't recall ever being briefed on a callback signal. All my dives have been from boats and guided, so perhaps the guides are expected to know.

I remember being briefed quite some time ago, but nothing recently. I'll see if it's still part of the briefing next time in KL.

If it Is not in the briefing, I will usually ask. Most of my ocean diving is live boat drift diving so the boat is usually close. Generally, it's either three revs of the engine repeating, or some pattern of engine revs.

Safe travels,
Jay

I have made a lot of dives in many places around the world over a couple of decades. (See my profile.) My aging memory is far from perfect, but I have no recollection of any dive briefing anywhere including a recall signal.

I've had the briefing, but I'm thinking I haven't had it in recent trips.

I have made a lot of dives in many places around the world over a couple of decades. (See my profile.) My aging memory is far from perfect, but I have no recollection of any dive briefing anywhere including a recall signal.
I have a few times. The most recent one was diving at Looe Key. The recall signal was banging on the ladder with a weight, or some other object. My wife had BCD issues and I ended up with an insta buddy. He nearly instantly disappeared in the 12 foot visibility. I did the standard look around for a minute and then made the 20 foot ascent. When the DM saw me she did the emergency recall signal until insta buddy popped up, got a short refresher on buddy diving protocol and we proceeded with the dive with the addition of my wife whose BCD problem had been remedied on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom