OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just completed 3 days of diving in Cozumel with my new Spectrum. It was the best diving experience I have ever had. I have always had problems with significant leaking...to the point where I had pretty much given up on diving. With the Spectrum I had zero leaking. Zero. I could get in any position without any concern for water sloshing around in my mask. No more constant clearing of the mask. It was awesome!

I had zero fogging. I took great care to apply 200ft VIZ defog hours before the dive (if not the night before). I let it dry and then buffed it out with a microfiber cloth. ZERO fogging.

I do have the ABS installed and I consider that a must have on the mask.

My air consumption was a little higher than in the past. Could have been the mask. Could be that it has been some years since I had been diving.

Some words of caution for those thinking about buying a Spectrum. Be aware that it does not work with all second stages. You cannot use a second stage that has a double lip barrel. So, take the mouthpiece off of your second stage to check before you buy the mask. If you have a US Diver Conshelf 21, don't bother checking. If has a double lip.

The mask will not work with all regulators. I replaced my Conshelf 2nd stage with a Trident LX second stage. The mask fit on the second stage, but the Conshelf 21 first stage couldn't deliver enough air to keep the mask from shuddering when I inhaled. The good folks at OTS explained that any full fask mask can shudder and they saw that most frequently with low-end regulators (like a 30 year old Conshelf 21).

So, my mask ended up being pretty expensive as I replaced my Conshelf 21 with a Aqua Lung Legend LX. But I couldn't be happier because it works like a dream and the investment has restored my enthusiasm for diving. When my wife saw the credit card statement, she told me I better do a lot of diving. So, it has worked out really well.

Despite the cautions mentioned above, please take this post as a huge endorsement for the mask.

can someone please post a picture of what a "double lip barrel" looks like?

I don't have a picture of a double lip, but here is an image from the Spectrum manual showing what the tube shoud look like. Note the single lip at the right end of the tube.
20190325_203204.jpg

Thanks for your great review of the Spectrum @Tsip83 !

New mask, new reg and wife telling you to dive more...what more could you want? Haha!

Cheers.

I don't have a picture of a double lip, but here is an image from the Spectrum manual showing what the tube shoud look like. Note the single lip at the right end of the tube.View attachment 511520

I get that, and understood (I have the same mask and manual) but I'm curious as to what "double lipped" looks like. I don't think that any of the perhaps 50 regulators I have are really any different.....

This is a long time coming, but I wanted to wait until I had the ABV and a good amount of dives with the Spectrum before I gave my impressions on it. Long story short, its an incredible mask, and the minor issues I had with it were a result of user error. I know there aren't a ton of reviews out there, so hopefully mine will help people with the decision. I have completed over 40 dives with the mask and here are my impressions:

The first few times I used it, the lower lip of the mask kept slipping out from under my chin. Once I got used to the fit, I adjusted the straps and stopped having that problem. On a few dives, the mask would also shudder when I breathed or moved suddenly. I tuned the breathing on my regulator, and the issue stopped completely. The mask seals really well, and after following the directions from OTS to break in and treat the mask, I have never had a problem with fogging either. It keeps your face warm during cold water dives, and the ability to equalize without a nose block, while still retaining a full-face mask capability is amazing. The ABV really helps save on gas during long surface swims, and will not take in water into your mask even if you are 1-2 feet underwater.

Only recommendations I have is to get a QD attachment for your regulator, because zip tying it into your mask can be a real pain. Right now I have a single SP G260 attached to it, and I only plan on taking it off for maintenance and an occasional deep clean. I would also highly recommend that you practice donning and doffing the mask, and switching to your secondary/octo if something goes wrong. It also wouldnt hurt to carry a pair of goggles or a secondary mask just in case.

I love my Spectrum, and it will be really hard to ever dive with a normal mask again. Is it necessary for most divers? Nope. Is it a real nice mask to have if you have the funds? Absolutely.

Takimbe,

Thanks so much for sharing your review of our Spectrum Full Face Mask! Do you happen to have a photo you'd be OK to share with your review so that we may post on our Social Media pages / monthly newsletter?

Feel free to email me at : anelson@otscomm.com or reply here

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom