Tulamben Muck Does Not Disappoint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super! What is the 4th photo please? I can't quite make it out.

It's this guy:

28634572221_3b5e010129_c.jpg
_DSC9022 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Awesome pics!
How cold is "coldish"? I'm asking since we'll be in Tulamben in the first week of May and still debating on wetsuit thickness.

Coldish is a consistent 25ish. Cold water has absolutely pushed up which is funny because I decided after my trip last October to Pandang Bai I was gong to ensure no more cold for a while. Yesterday on Seraya we managed to hit 21 for a while. It sucked. Tulamben is almost always 28; it just seems I am cursed with cold upwellings.

Nice pics!
What kind of camera are you using?

I'm a poor high school teacher so do the best I can with a Cannon G16 I got about seven years ago. I use an Ikelite housing and a couple of Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes and a +10 diopter. I have been on the fence for years about upgrading, but...you know... The next step is an awful big rabbit hole...

Super! What is the 4th photo please? I can't quite make it out.

I always called them fried egg nudibranchs but I googled that and am way off. It is one of these: Carminodoris estrelyado (Gosliner & Behrens, 1998) [Hoplodoris]

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Coldish is a consistent 25ish. Cold water has absolutely pushed up which is funny because I decided after my trip last October to Pandang Bai I was gong to ensure no more cold for a while. Yesterday on Seraya we managed to hit 21 for a while. It sucked. Tulamben is almost always 28; it just seems I am cursed with cold upwellings.

I'm a poor high school teacher so do the best I can with a Cannon G16 I got about seven years ago. I use an Ikelite housing and a couple of Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes and a +10 diopter. I have been on the fence for years about upgrading, but...you know... The next step is an awful big rabbit hole...

I always called them fried egg nudibranchs but I googled that and am way off. It is one of these: Carminodoris estrelyado (Gosliner & Behrens, 1998) [Hoplodoris]

Thank you for showing me!

I was also cursed with cold upwellings in later February and wondered if it was due to volcanic or quake activity. Brrrrr
But because of the unusual water temp, was able to see mola mola out of season.

Heading there in two weeks time after ADEX in Singapore, really looking forward to it.

Thinking I might pack my 5mm after seeing your comments about the temperatures.

Hmm, maybe I'll buy a hood and potentially just rent a shortie if it's consistently colder than the usual 26-28C.

Heading there in two weeks time after ADEX in Singapore, really looking forward to it.

We may bump into each other...you just visiting or a vendor?

Shucks 21 degrees!!!! That is freezing!! Ye anything lower than 26 is cold as far as I'm concerned!!

The Canon G series are great cameras I had the G12, then drown it and got the original Sony RX 100....which was also 6 or 7 years ago....but just cant bring myself to jump down that black "upgrade my system" hole...

Just back from a 5:45 Am bumphead dive which was nice, but I have one hundred percent decided I am no longer a 3 mil guy. Maybe it is because I am sliding in the last year of my 40s, but I freakin' HATE being cold. For every dive from now until I die I am going with a 5 mil and bringing along hooded vest just in case. Trips to known cold places like Alor or Nusa Penida will necessitate an extra shorty and a...hell...I used to dive dry back home in Fort Myers, Florida in the winter. I may become known as the "crazy dry suit bule." I may look like an idiot but I will be warm and happy.

I freakin' HATE being cold. I may become known as the "crazy dry suit bule." I may look like an idiot but I will be warm and happy.

Haha, thanks for making me laugh in my cold airco office!
But you've convinced me to buy some extra layering. I still remember diving in Madeira, wearing a 6mm full wetsuit with hood and still being cold in 17C. Definitely not a fun dive so I agree with being warm and happy :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom