Azores diving and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which dives would you suggest in the Azores?
Is it possible to dive or to do some snorkeling with the whales?
Thanks

No snorkeling allowed, only watching them from the boat. If I had to choose only one dive it'd be Ambrosia off the coast of Santa Maria Island : more than 45' minutes with the mobulas + tunas.

Formigas reserve is extremely nice too but 2h away : black coral, groupers...

Thanks for the feedback
Mobulas are wonderful I saw them in Liguria

Where in Liguria ? Close to the coast ? I'd be glad to know.

Noli (Savona)
This dive in Liguria is considered an average one but the more I go on the more I am surprised of what you can see there
First, there is a beach dive for free from the shore (close to Njoy diving and Noli Hotel)
There I saw the mobula once. In the same area guess what I saw the sunfish or mola mola I was not even diving I was still on the boat and others on the boat took pictures just putting the camera under the surface. Mola mola are more and more common in that area, it seems they eat mostly jelly fishes and with the global warming the number of jelly fishes has increased a lot in Noli area. Mostly they stay quite deep like 60 meters or more, but sometimes they are close to the surface. For mobula and mola mola anyway you need to be lucky.
Other than that, from Noli you can go to Bergeggi Island, which is wonderful one of the best dives of Liguria. You need a diving in this case

I have a non diving question on Azores. A dear friend suffers from a medical condition. Is the health system which more or less the same as mainland Portugal in terms of efficiency and possibility of getting a specialized treatment in case of any problem?
Thanks

Well... I cannot give an answer about the whole archipelago. There's an hospital for sure on Faial, I was passing by every day before and after diving, but on the other islands, no idea. Sorry. Can't your friend's physician give him some advice ?

Well thanks for the info you gave me on Faial, will ask also my friend what his doctor told him

No sweat. :wink:

I am going in May to the Azores, so any other suggestions would be great, we are staying on Sao Miguel first then a week on Pico before returing to Sao Miguel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom