BCD and regulator inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there. I came across this BCD and regulator at an op shop a few weeks back.

It is a medium Scubapro BCD (have no idea of model) in excellent condition. Plus a mk2 and R190 regulator and Sherwood dials.

I essentially was given all this as the store couldn't sell it. I used to have an open water license (long since expired) and I was pondering renewing it one day. Anyway I have no idea of the quality of these things and was IMG_20190329_101329.jpg IMG_20190329_101312.jpg wondering whether it is worth getting them serviced? I may even consider selling if it is worth it.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Ben. The regulator and BC seems to be in very good condition. If they have not been used they need to be checked out by someone who knows what they are doing (ie: dive shop).

What OW license do you have that has expired?

they look in good condition. Both are basic lower end models but are none the less quite usable. The MK-2 has been around for many, many years and is still being sold with a few cosmetic changes. It's easy to service and very dependable. Unless you intend to do a lot of diving, these would do nicely.

blow the BC up and check it holds air. grab a tank and IP gauge and check the regs/air2. you might find they are diveable as is.

What's the selling price? At $100 it's good deal, at $500 you can do better elsewhere - almost new.

Ask if they'll service the reg as part of the deal

MK2's are still sold new today - just a later version of that one. Those probably date to the 70-80s? if they're the same age as the BC - MK2's have been sold since the mid 60's. It only has one HP port.

I believe (don't quote me) that the reg is a downstream model so if it failed you would still get some air to be able to surface.

Nothing wrong with any of that stuff.
It’s entry level or rental level, but simple and bullet proof. The reg first and second are unbalanced so they will begin to gradually breathe harder when the tank gets low, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, some people who forget to look at their gauges regularly will benefit from this feature.
I see it has an Air2 on the BC. If you decide to use this stuff, do yourself and your buddy a favor, swap out your primary second stage hose with a 40” octo length since you will be donating your primary in an air share.
The 36” length just isn’t quite long enough for a good sharing distance between divers.
Get the stuff serviced before use. It might work now but o rings dry out and flatten/harden so it’s just better to get it done and then you know it’s good.
The BC either holds air or it doesn’t put it in water and fill it up. If it’s in good shape then cool! That’s a Basic model and you’ll need a weightbelt.
Actually, those old basic models are somewhat sought after by certain people who like jackets but don’t like weight integration. Dirt simple jacket BC’s are hard to find anymore.

Back
Top Bottom