Oceanic Pro Plus 4 or 3 or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawn C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm a purely recreational warm water diver who only gets in about 15 to 20 dives a year. I'm looking for a console DC with AI. Don't currently dive Nitrox. Looking for an easy to read display (age, sigh).

Any thoughts on the new Oceanic Pro Plus 4? It's available for around $600 - $650. The 3 can be had for around $500 but I don't know that saving $100 is worth buying an older model. If not this DC, I'm open to other suggestions in or below this price point. I am looking to replace my 20 year old reg and first stage as well so have to try and maintain a budget.

Thanks for any help & advice.

For big numbers and easy buttonology, the Plus 3 is a bargain used. Pretty rugged, as well. For the diving you describe, that'd be my recommendation.
I'd look on eBay for the one with the most flawless pictures from a seller with excellent ratings. Definitely spring for the quick disconnect. It saves the computer a lot of abuse between dives.
I used to dive a Plus 2 when I used a console. Tho' I'm Perdix AI now, my buddies with 3's are happy.

My first computer after being certified was a PP2.x. It's the only piece of equipment I have not upgraded. I'm 50 and dive everything from Oklahoma lakes with 2 feet of vis to the carribean with 100+ of vis. The readout is easy to see in all conditions, dark or light. Then I made the mistake of showing my wife my computer on a dive. A week later, my wife had a pro plus. The light on hers went out and I just bought her a used 3 off this site. These are great computers. Mine is 5 years old and still on the original battery. The light is easy to see in all conditions. The air time remaining is accurate and great for making your dive time match your buddies. Nitrox changes take seconds. They are safe on their deco algorithm, but will give you more time than Suuntos and others.

Im wanting to upgrade to a Perdix AI, but the Pro Plus is a great computer. I have zero regrets about buying one first. Not many things you can say that about.

Good luck,

Jay

For big numbers and easy buttonology, the Plus 3 is a bargain used. Pretty rugged, as well. For the diving you describe, that'd be my recommendation.
I'd look on eBay for the one with the most flawless pictures from a seller with excellent ratings. Definitely spring for the quick disconnect. It saves the computer a lot of abuse between dives.
I used to dive a Plus 2 when I used a console. Tho' I'm Perdix AI now, my buddies with 3's are happy.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about buying used. I took a look at ebay and only saw 2 listed for pretty much what a new one costs...

Thanks. I hadn't thought about buying used. I took a look at ebay and only saw 2 listed for pretty much what a new one costs...
Yeah, they're popular. Well, for 25 dives a year, consider the Plus 2.1 with the metal buttons (upgraded model). It doesn't have the second, more conservative algorithm choice, but can be a good deal if clean.

EDIT: Holy cow! Just looked at LeisurePro here and new, it's $525 without the QD!!! I guess it's what the market will bear, sigh.

Compare Oceanic (blue), with the Pelagic Z+ (red) that they offer as their second algorithm, I think.
Still, just dive with a few extra minutes remaining on your NDL, instead.

Yeah, they're popular. Well, for 25 dives a year, consider the Plus 2.1 with the metal buttons (upgraded model). It doesn't have the second, more conservative algorithm choice, but can be a good deal if clean.

EDIT: Holy cow! Just looked at LeisurePro here and new, it's $525 without the QD!!! I guess it's what the market will bear, sigh.
That's why I've been looking at the PPV4, new. There's very little difference in price between the 2.1, 3 and 4!
I'll be buying in the States (cheaper than here and no tax) and LP is one of my go to shops.

Hi All,

I'm a purely recreational warm water diver who only gets in about 15 to 20 dives a year. I'm looking for a console DC with AI. Don't currently dive Nitrox. Looking for an easy to read display (age, sigh).

Any thoughts on the new Oceanic Pro Plus 4? It's available for around $600 - $650. The 3 can be had for around $500 but I don't know that saving $100 is worth buying an older model. If not this DC, I'm open to other suggestions in or below this price point. I am looking to replace my 20 year old reg and first stage as well so have to try and maintain a budget.

Thanks for any help & advice.
I’ll sell you a used VT3 by oceanic and in very good shape for $400 if you would like. It’s the wrist gauge and transmitter. So it’s hoseless. The only way to dive! Ryan

Check the for saw boards here. I picked up a proplus3 for 300 dollars. You can regularly find them used for about 350.

That being said, if I could go back, I probably wouldn’t buy it, mainly because I miss having a depth meter on my wrist. When checking my depth at the safety stop, I preferred to glance at my wrist, rather than having to hold the console. But it’s certainly the easiest-reading computer I’ve found.

I’ll sell you a used VT3 by oceanic and in very good shape for $400 if you would like. It’s the wrist gauge and transmitter. So it’s hoseless. The only way to dive! Ryan
Thanks but I'm looking for an easier to read DC. Something something getting older... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom