Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's possible, I suppose. But that area of the island has far, far less boat traffic. In fact, it's one of the risks of diving in the north..less boats in the area to find lost/separated divers.

Is there any possibility that Cam may have surfaced away from shore and been hit by a boat? A boat operator might not notice, or in a more nefarious situation, the driver might have known, but took off. It seems unlikely, but then the entire situation seems unlikely too.

A worst case solo scenario is being suddenly "clotheslined" by unseen monofilament line/net while on DPV trigger scootering forward. That's the only way that a diver of Cameron's experience -other than an unforeseen "medical event"- could have been so completely caught unaware and potentially quickly incapacitated.

Has anyone heard of anyone oxtoxing on air?
That is exactly the question I was going to post. I have never heard of a deep air ox-tox

I’ve heard of an OC diver ox tox’ing on 1.3 PPO2.

I sincerely doubt that is what happened in this situation, however, given the depth, time, and previous exposures without incident.
can you provide any details? I have heard of a 1.4 tox involving a cave dive but not a 1.3 event.

I do not have the link to the original accident report I only have a link to a discussion related to it. Someone else may have those details. I know someone who was on the dive and heard the story from them.

Oxygen Toxicity Limits & Symptoms

can you provide any details? I have heard of a 1.4 tox involving a cave dive but not a 1.3 event.

It's possible, I suppose. But that area of the island has far, far less boat traffic. In fact, it's one of the risks of diving in the north..less boats in the area to find lost/separated divers.
Understood... None the less, if it did happen, a single boat who nicked a diver just under the surface would just keep going. Neither a diver or boat expects the other.

So many good posts have been split off, deleted and moderated, including several on the topic of "what would you do if you were lost at sea" and I come back to ten pages of physics. :rolleyes:

I don't see the potential of a flooded scooter playing much of a role if he was going to a hard bottom of ~150' anyway.

I read that site is not hard bottom at 150’, it’s sloping down to over 800’ bottom. He might have an accident at 150’ sloping wall (judging from the damage a search diver found on a barrel sponge & coral around that depth) and tumbling down to the abyss.

Understood... None the less, if it did happen, a single boat who nicked a diver just under the surface would just keep going. Neither a diver or boat expects the other.
If Cameron was conscious, I expect he would have heard any approaching boats.

I read that site is not hard bottom at 150’, it’s sloping down to over 800’ bottom. He might have an accident at 150’ sloping wall (judging from the damage a search diver found on a barrel sponge & coral around that depth) and tumbling down to the abyss.

Perhaps, I specifically asked the question of what the bottom was. Clarification of how wide the 150-165' bottom is would put to rest whether a flooded scooter could have played a role in sending him to the abyss.

A flooded scooter would have been pointed at the slope or wall and dealt with by any skilled diver.
Indeed, but having no power inflator, flooded scooter, down current, diving air, and potentially no bottom (depending on how wide the 150' deep shelf is) would be a hell of a task. Even if the scooter did not flood, sidemount with a scooter is not a very streamlined setup while in trim with a down current. More like a sail.

I would really like to know how wide this 150' deep area is before it drops off to the abyss. 10 feet? 100 feet? That would make a big difference.

Perhaps it wouldn't even matter if the current was running down the wall and then turning out to open ocean.

I can see why it's not recommended to shore dive at this location.

Back
Top Bottom