Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

check the viscosity of the grease. different greases can have varying viscosity. i prefer a slightly thicker grease.

Will it be obvious? The camera housing greases and the Danco all seem about the same viscosity. Will Trident feel different?

Just don't use silicone sealant! :)

Don't ask me how I know that. :facepalm: (Sometimes the tubes feel a lot alike if you don't look first).

Mark

After some internet'in...

Trident Silicone Grease

100% Dimethyl Polysiloxane

http://www.tridentdive.com/aalp20.pdf

Danco Silicone Grease

85-95% Dimethyl Polysiloxane
5-15% Silicon Dioxide

DANCO 88693 : MSDS

The Silicon Dioxide is added as a thickener, to increase viscosity.

It seems like the Danco product could work, and at the same time, the Trident product is inexpensive too.

If it helps, the Trident is what I've been using on the o-rings on my, and my wife's, dive PC battery covers for years and none have ever leaked.

To a chemist this may be a dumb question. As I am not, here goes. I know that silicon can be aerosolized and does nasty things to one's lungs (silicosis). However silicone (with an "e") is the compound we use in regulators. I assume since we are breathing gas flowing over this compound it is not aerosolized and our lungs have nothing to worry about. Something I've always wondered about. M

To a chemist this may be a dumb question. As I am not, here goes. I know that silicon can be aerosolized and does nasty things to one's lungs (silicosis). However silicone (with an "e") is the compound we use in regulators. I assume since we are breathing gas flowing over this compound it is not aerosolized and our lungs have nothing to worry about. Something I've always wondered about. M
I have wondered this myself but never looked into it. I Googled it and got this short article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DxAP&usg=AOvVaw3sGUcYvlDE97YFnVzgZfJq&ampcf=1

Several MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) state that for polydimethylsiloxane, "Inhalation: May be harmful if inhaled. May cause respritory tract irritation." For example, see:

Polydimethylsiloxane Safety Data Sheet

Other MSDS seem to say no issues. Dunno. M

After the Christo-Lube cruds up and starts working like sandpaper in 6 or 8 months, you'll go back to silicone grease, even on O2 regs, and return to doing services every 5 years, whether needed or not.
Been there, done that and I haven't regretted it in the last 25 years, but I only do it on my own gear.
Michael
I agree with you that silicone grease is better for lubricating, more waterproof and lasts longer than the Christo lube and Tribolube. The only caveats is that silicone should not be used in high oxygen applications and it can cause silicone O rings to swell. I also think the oxygen safe lubes attract less dust and dirt.

I also am puzzled by the camera housing recommendations to use only their particular silicone grease and wonder what the difference is. I know there are slight differences in the thickness of silicone greases but wondered if there is something else.

For starters there is no such thing as silicon grease. Grease is an oil or fat based lubricant. Silicon is an atomic element that among other things can be used in a lubricant. There are also water based lubricants too. It really helps to use the right terminology (even for the mfg.). And no not all silicon lubricants are the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom