Halcyon cinch and removal in emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the PADI Rescue course in a Halcyon Infinity (cinch harness) with zero issues. Showed how a pull on the free end of the webbing pops the waist buckle, and nobody had a problem from there. The harness rolls off easily in the water once the buckle is released and the crotch strap drops away.

Lance
Isn’t the buckle normally passed through the crotch strap opening ?

how do you stop the male waist strap disappearing through the cinch
If your, uh, "male waist strap" can pass through the cinch slots, you might be significantly less generously endowed than most of the general population.

Isn’t the buckle normally passed through the crotch strap opening ?

That’s how I set up my buckle, but it didn’t hinder removal at all during our practical exercises in Rescue.

Lance

...I suppose what im asking is this, is the cinch system safe for novice divers ??

The Halcyon Cinch is the EASIEST bp/w system to remove whether in an emergency or not. As always, don't have the straps too tight and any bp/w is easy to remove. Loosening the cinch is as easy as pulling the shoulder straps on an upward angle. To tighten the cinch, you just pull the waist webbing. Watch the video below to see a cinch being adjusted.

If someone really has the straps way too tight, the webbing can be cut easily.

The Halcyon Infinity with the cinch was marketed primarily to newer divers or those not quite sure about transitioning to a bp/w from the familiarity of a jacket. So yes, the cinch is absolutely suitable for a new diver. In fact, any bp/w is suitable for a new (or any) diver. It's a modular system that will grow with you for any type of future diving you do.

Sometimes people who aren't familiar with a bp/w can be apprehensive about it. BP/W's are getting much more common depending on the locale.

Having said all that, my Infinity was stripped of everything except the back pad and cinch many years ago. Initially my cinch was disabled by tri-glides by my Fundamentals Instructor, and then I just removed it entirely several years ago. The cinch just isn't necessary. It does make for easy adjustments though between users and for rental gear.

That’s how I set up my buckle, but it didn’t hinder removal at all during our practical exercises in Rescue.

Lance
Ah i see what you meant.

During Rescue one guy forgot to remove my buckle from the opening and it got stuck somehow.

No one has mentioned a no-cutting removal technique for Bp/W single-piece harnesses, so I will.

At the surface after getting victim buoyant, face up, & waist unbuckled
1) Lift both victim's arms so they lay pointed straight "above" their head
2) Now position yourself to the side of the victim.
3) Rescuer's hand farthest from victim's head goes under victims mid-back
4) Rescuer's hand closest to victim's head pushes down on backplate
5) Lift victim, push down on Backplate and spread your arms apart.
6) Victim slides out of Backplate

BC should be less than fully inflated so you can gently sink it, but still inflated enough that you're not treading water to float both it and victim. If that's too complicated think of this analogy:
Your toddler spilled spaghetti on his shirt. When you pull the shirt off your toddler where do their arms go? Up and over their head.
Put your victim's arms like that and you can slide the Bp/W off easily without cutting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom