YS-D1 and YS-D2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindysoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I have 1 YS-D1 strobe and I would like to add another but I can't seem to find one for purchase online. They seem to be discontinued.

So my question is, can I use a YS-D2 as my secondary strobe together with my existing YS-D1 or will I have problems?

On a side note, anyone have a YS-D1 they want to sell to me? :wink:

be careful with the YS-D2 strobes. Do a few searches here and on the other photo forums. Many report multiple quality issues from flooding, premature strobe burnout and repeated problems even after warranty fixes. I think the issue is that they started manufacturing the D2 in China and maybe the quality control was not as good. They may have brought manufacturing for the D2J back to Japan. I have no direct experience with them but the complaints online were enough to make me shy away and search for used D1's.

Hey aviator8! Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been searching online all night but I can't find any used ones :( People started selling their used ones since 2015... Unless I'm not good with my search criteria on Google...

they are around and come up every once in awhile. Keep an eye out here, ebay, and wetpixel. I need another one myself.

DS-2/China has problems. My wife's flooded, not the battery door, right through the main body somewhere. Replaced under warranty. A bunch of personal issues meant it didn't see use for months. First time out only fired full ON!. No control of it at all. No longer under warranty.Would not help with it.
Bought Inon. Doubt we'll ever go back.

The DS2-J(japan) seems to be doing much better. Yes, you can mix them fine.

Thanks fmerkel! Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks guys I was looking at a D2 as I have a D1 and 101a? and was going to upgrade to a D2 or a
I-Dive Symbiosis SS-02 Strobe/Video Light
Not sure which way to go. IF in doubt don't is my motto...

Ive been shooting with a pair of D2 for a couple years, with no problems...(knocking on wood). Both in cold water, and tropical. I have been interested in the iDive Symbiosis strobes as well. Any feedback on them?

Ive been shooting with a pair of D2 for a couple years, with no problems...(knocking on wood). Both in cold water, and tropical. I have been interested in the iDive Symbiosis strobes as well. Any feedback on them?

I have almost 200 dives on my 2 YS-D2’s, taking many, many photos on each dive, with no issues as well. Maybe I’ve been lucky so far.

I did all the research and saw there seemed more complaints about D2s than other strobes, but went ahead with the purchase namely because I hoped the odds of getting a bad one were low and outside the reliability issues it had great specs.

Fast forward a few years and on my recent GC trip on day two after putting newly charged batteries in it simply wouldn't power up after turning the knob. In a state of annoyed disbelief that I was going to be down a strobe, I slapped the back of it a little with my palm and suddenly it powered up... and worked the rest of the trip... of course now I suspect it's on borrowed time.

Anyway, maybe I'll try a D2-J when it does die, but might just go inon z330. My ys-3 is a trooper though, if only it were more powerful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom