Using Integrated Octo (SS1) as Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been doing a divemaster course and have been playing a lot with my gear in the pool/ocean. Recently, I tried a configuration of (1) "integrated octo" (SS1) on a necklace bungee as my primary and (1) octo. I did my first ocean dive in this configuration. I actually liked it a lot. I think there will be lots of comments that don't like this which is fine.

I really have three questions.
One, what are the cons of using an integrated octo as your primary? If you had first-hand experience or had stories that would be helpful.
Two, what do you think the cons are for this configuration?
Three, any improvements? I'm thinking of switching the necklace bungee to be for the actual octo but keeping the "integrated octo" as my primary. Or doing so with a double bungee system. I'm more than willing to try things in the pool and than in the ocean to get a good test and understanding of actual pros/cons.

By integrated do you mean inflator integrated? If so how are you handling your inflation/deflation?

By integrated do you mean inflator integrated? If so how are you handling your inflation/deflation?

You are correct, the low pressure inflator (LPI) is integrated with a regulator. I also thought inflating/deflating would be a problem, but it turns out to not be at all. Since it's in my mouth, I'm more precisely aware and can operate the LPI buttons much more quickly.

I will not use the LPI to deflate since it will force the bladder air into my mouth and I don't want to get sick. However, I stop using the deflate button from my LPI a while back. I find it's less convenient to use the LPI to deflate as you have to lift it vertically before doing so. I almost always use my kidney dump and will use the right shoulder dump at the start of a dive just to descend past the surface of the water.

One nice thing about the SS1 is that Atomic made an effort to keep the breathing performance consistent with the rest of their second stages. They do this by using a larger hose than some other brands.

My buddy has an SS1 - I honestly could not see using it all the time though. I like the Atomic 2nds with the swivel too much.

One nice thing about the SS1 is that Atomic made an effort to keep the breathing performance consistent with the rest of their second stages. They do this by using a larger hose than some other brands.

My buddy has an SS1 - I honestly could not see using it all the time though. I like the Atomic 2nds with the swivel too much.

I would agree that the regulator works fantastic. I actually would of never done this with any other lpi integrated regulator than the SS1 because i read about how it was exactly like their other high performing regulators. I took it down to 29.5 meters / 100 ft today and it breathe similiar to my scubapro s600. The only downside versus the s600 is that it is no where near as cold water resilient.

I think there will be lots of comments that don't like this which is fine.

I think you're right, but this is SB and no harm in asking questions.

That said, leaving aside the fact that I think integrated octos are unnecessary and a terrible idea to begin with, my question is why?

I would think it would be distracting and tiring to have the corrugated hose hanging off the side of what is now my "primary." I can't imagine doing a long dive like that. Isn't that a jaw killer, like diving half of a rebreather loop? Don't you have to clamp down when you turn to the right? Sounds like I'd end up with a TMJ headache.

Plus, though I'm not personally experienced with the SS1, I would think the fact that it basically exhausts straight down, with no diverter of any size, would mean you have bubbles in your face the entire dive. While the inner workings may give it a good WOB (I don't know) the ergonomics are not very good as your primary breather for a regular dive. It's designed for short use in an emergency, not comfort during long dives.

If you are doing a DM class, presumably on some sort of a path to teach or at least lead divers, I would stay with a more conventional configuration. My shop would not allow me to lead or teach in such an unusual configuration, for good reason, even if there was a decent case for it (which I'm not seeing here).

I'm thinking of switching the necklace bungee to be for the actual octo but keeping the "integrated octo" as my primary. Or doing so with a double bungee system.

I don't understand this. You'd keep your SS1 as a primary and put the reg you proposed to donate on a short-hose necklace? That doesn't make any sense to me. Obviously, you need something to donate with a hose long enough to give you some room to work. "Double bungeed," if I'm understanding what you mean, is asking for trouble when you are assaulted by a OOA diver. The point of the necklace rig is that it is for you, so you can donate your primary. This sounds all kind of wrong.

I’ve used the same configuration for a few years now. The double bungies are a little confusing sometimes but it it all works out. I like the device so much that I actually use one on my pony bottle as well, but I don’t have it connected to a corrugated inflator hose (obviously).

What is your air sharing protocol with "double bungees" and how long are your hoses?

I just find this really strange.

That said, leaving aside the fact that I think integrated octos are unnecessary and a terrible idea to begin with, my question is why?

I'm just trying different configurations and what I think is best for each situation. For my case specifically, I prefer to dive full face mask. If I ever need to remove my mask, I can easily grab my SS1 since I'm more aware of where it is than anything else. Then I wanted to just become proficient and spend a lot of time using the ss1 like all my other gear. I decided to use it in a pool. It breathed so well and was so easy to use that I wanted to try using it as a primary when diving. I used it for 2x 45 min dives today with no issues. The biggest advantage of ss1 primary and s600 octo is weight, volume, and ease to setup/remove gear. I see this as a major advantage for travel rec diving on 1-2 tanks. I'd assume it is more reliable as there is one less hose/regulator than my standard configuration.

In terms of fatigue, it doesn't feel any different to me than my s600 in my mouth. I do need to add 2-3" to the corrugated hose as turning my head completely right is a bit of a stretch. I start to get jaw fatigued about 1 hr after using my s600 so I assume the SS1 would be similar since there was no fatigue after 45 mins.

I thought the exhaust may be a problem, but I didn't notice any bubbles at all during the dives.

I agree with you about teaching or assisting courses. In those cases, I always use my 2x s600 and ss1 configuration. Luckily, I'm only doing my DM to get unlimited dives while I'm in Thailand. I have no interest in actually being a professional at any capacity, just want to be a really good diver.

I don't have any experience to comment on the double necklace yet. I started sidemount about a month ago and was looking into the best configuration. I've only done it with the standard hog configuration. I read about the double necklace configuration on SB and really want to try it. I think what I would do is ss1 and a long hose to donate. To be clear, long hose ~5-7ft.

Back
Top Bottom