A Case for Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's an adapter that connects to a port on the SA and a yoke. Does anyone make a compact transfill for a pony? Something that would look something like this except two yokes connected directly.
View attachment 512309

It's easy to make one that is very compact by getting a hose that has two 7/16" SAE ends that can be connected to your 1st stages' HP ports.

It's easy to make one that is very compact by getting a hose that has two 7/16" SAE ends that can be connected to your 1st stages' HP ports.

Do you know for sure that won't damage the 1st stage internals? They are designed for one-way air flow and I'd hate to destroy any seals. If it's safe to do, which is an assumption I don't want to make, it would still mean slow refills given the small orifice.

Anyone here actually done this?

Do you know for sure that won't damage the 1st stage internals? They are designed for one-way air flow and I'd hate to destroy any seals. If it's safe to do, which is an assumption I don't want to make, it would still mean slow refills given the small orifice.

Yep, used the method to fill 19 cf pony through a conshelf first stage about a dozen times.... looking at the mechanics of the reg, the only thing that could possibly be effected is if the star washer wasn't seated right and the filter was clogged you could push the metal filter towards the tank. But even IF (big if... this is hypothetical) that happened you would just press it back in and seat the washer correctly.

I have been tempted to get a spare air... But not for diving. Thought it would be a good idea to be stored in the glove box in case I ever lost the truck at the launch ramp, or put it in a roadside water feature while inside....

I have been tempted to get a spare air... But not for diving. Thought it would be a good idea to be stored in the glove box in case I ever lost the truck at the launch ramp, or put it in a roadside water feature while inside....

Might as well put one in each bedroom for a fire escape.

No guarantees. You'll have to decide for yourself.

The fill rate is more than sufficient for typical uses such as filling pony cylinders or topping off underfilled cylinders.

Yes.

Nah, you want something with an LP port for that. So you can fill tires.

Back
Top Bottom