How to mount a GoPro hero 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youngandfree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be heading to Ft Pierce this July to do some diving and complete my Advanced Open Water with my BIL and his buddy who's an instructor. Last year, I tried mounting a go pro to my shoulder strap using an alligator style clip. I didn't realize it was pointing at my snorkel hanging down from my mask until I watched it back. It was also in my stream of bubbles. I'd like to mount it somewhere on my BCD but not get too obstructed. Any ideas? I have a hero 4 mounted on a dive flashlight that I keep on a lanyard and use as a handheld.

Personal recommendation is DON'T!!! As it creates some very shaky video that can be nauseating to watch. You can find quite a few on youtube.
Give this video a watch, has reviews and video in action from different mounting methods. May help you decide how to mount it.

Scubapro make or made a mount that cable ties to the frame of their masks, and I assume other masks, it has the advantage of following where you are looking, turn video on and forget about it. I will post a picture when I get home

BD8CF68D-719C-49DF-97AE-27BDF4D52E87.jpeg A028C134-0A11-4ADF-861D-FD66F611B18A.jpeg BD8CF68D-719C-49DF-97AE-27BDF4D52E87.jpeg
BD8CF68D-719C-49DF-97AE-27BDF4D52E87.jpeg
A028C134-0A11-4ADF-861D-FD66F611B18A.jpeg
35FA5E90-1632-404F-B0E9-0A5417D883CA.jpeg
A028C134-0A11-4ADF-861D-FD66F611B18A.jpeg

I’m still yet to see any ‘mask mounted’ GoPro footage that is even vaguely useful for anything other than evidence that someone was actually in the ocean. It’s just far too nauseating. We just don’t ‘pan our heads’ slowly enough.

Either use a chesty or a gorad telescoping pole. The chesty is good but the pole is better and not to cumbersome. I use it on every dive.

Glenn

Yes sir. I take my chestier with me and my pole everywhere I go. Usually dive with my son, so either he or me wears the chestie and I use my pole.

I would highly recommend using a tray with handles to help you capture smooth and steady footage. A shorter pole will also do the trick if you do not extend it too far and are able to keep it steady and level. Personally, I have difficulty watching shaky GoPro footage from a mask or wrist mount. The jarring movements make me feel sick to my stomach.

Back
Top Bottom