Enriched Air Nitrox Certification - Why such variance in cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that you also learn how to use tables, what happen if your dive computer craps out underwater and the most important fact to master is MOD fr whatever mixture you are diving..

Well, honestly, if my computer craps out I'll use my backup computer on the console. If that one craps out I'll take a leisurely stroll to the surface. As far as the MOD goes, even I can remember one or two numbers.

Yeah the Nitrox tables are considerably more complicated. Nevertheless, I would think they could be learned fairly easily by reading the steps carefully. Especially considering this is me writing this.

I am too old and cranky to go to the trouble of learning things I don't really need to know and will never use.
I understand the concept of "I did it so everyone else should have to, too" but in this instance its really not worth my time and energy.

If we are going for an additional night of training how about a: "How to Set and Comprehend Your Dive Computer If You're Too Lazy to Read the Book" course?

Well, honestly, if my computer craps out I'll use my backup computer on the console. If that one craps out I'll take a leisurely stroll to the surface. As far as the MOD goes, even I can remember one or two numbers.
I agree with you and you are smart enough to have a backup computer, but how about those people with only one computer which craps out and no knowledge of tables, I could see panic setting in..

I agree with you and you are smart enough to have a backup computer, but how about those people with only one computer which craps out and no knowledge of tables, I could see panic setting in..
Even before the advent of the modern computer-based training, students were told that if they used a computer for diving and it failed during the dive, it was no big deal. They should simply end the dive and make a regular ascent to the surface. Two questions:
  1. What makes you think a diver would panic if he or she were to see the computer was not working during a dive?
  2. What makes you think a diver who was trained on the tables would be less likely to panic in that situation? How would knowledge of the tables help?

If without dives, then it is a "recognition" card and if it is with dives, then it is a "certification" card. NAUI doesn't issue "certification" cards to divers/students if no diving was involved per standards. I don't know why would anyone want a "diving" "certification card" without doing dives. I require dives for the Nitrox certification where the students need to demonstrate proper and independent dive planning and gas management using various mixes of nitrox (tables, MOD/EAD/Best Mix calculations, gas supply, dive computers use). The first dive is a general review dive for all skills including very basic skills and buoyancy control in addition to the nitrox specific knowledge.

In my view, I don't understand the people who are advocating the watering down of the training and knowledge for Nitrox use for divers when many of them complain about the low level of diver general training and competency out there. It is true that one can argue that for the recreational use of nitrox, one doesn't need to know much more than "breath in, breath out and don't go deeper than your MOD" but this is just like saying "one doesn't need to know much more than "breath normally, don't hold your breath and don't exceed your NDL's" when they want to learn how to scuba dive in general. Just total BS!

I am not a "c-card" reseller, I am an "educator" and I take every opportunity and responsibility to train and educate my students in all of the courses I teach and the consequential certification cards offered and given to my students. The theoretical knowledge of nitrox use maybe "simple" if one wants to teach to the absolute lowest common denominator and just get it over with and issue the card in the shortest time possible, but they are missing a great deal of usable practical knowledge and skills in their training programs their students should receive and master. I see that the greater majority of divers out there lack in proper dive planning knowledge and skills without nitrox and if they don't learn how to plan and conduct their dives properly and then add the nitrox to the mix, it makes it even worse. Students deserve and need to practice the planning and conduct of the dive under the guidance of a professional instructor in a nitrox course.
Yes, your correct. I asked my Lds and I misstated about the certification.

I have a variation on the nitrox question that I have not found in this thread or another thread on nitrox. I have never done a nitrox class before and want to do one. The question I have is it it worth doing the TDI Nitrox class rather than an SDI/PADI/NAUI etc class? As I understand it the standard classes focus on use of a computer whereas the TDI class goes deeper into underlying theory and practical application.

I have some interest in doing technical diving in the future. I have talked to an LDS about the two and they said the time required is about the same but the cost is 350 for TDI vs 200 for the PADI/SDI due to the more in-depth instruction.

Does anyone have any experience with the TDI Nitrox class, is it really that much more in-depth and does it truly be prepare you for latter tech courses? Or is it better to just do a standard Nitrox course and then move into tech with AN/DP or Tec-40?

Another thought I have had is that doing the TDI version may be a way to interview a potential tech instructor, but 350 it is a rather expensive interview.

We spent most of the time in my PADI Nitrox class on theory. A small amount of time at the end was involved with computer setup and O2 analysis. For practical purposes there's not a lot you have to know. IMO, $350 for a Nitrox ticket is much too much.

IMO, a standard nitrox class teaches you everything you need to know for recreational diving, and the technical diving classes are going to have what's in them regardless of what you learned before. When you go on and take the technical courses and learn all there is in them, you will be surprised at how little more there is to learn.

I took my PADI nitrox class nearly 20 years ago, and there was a lot more to it then than there is now--a lot. The main reason there is not that much anymore is they figured out that a lot of it was unnecessary. In technical diving, breathing an inappropriate gas mix is a real danger, but avoiding that danger does not take a whole lot of added learning. It is primarily making sure you analyze and mark your tanks properly and then using good switching technique, which is a key part of all tech courses.

I would ask each shop for a course syllabus and details of what is included, how many students per class, etc. One thing I've found from participating in Nitrox courses, is that some people have a much easier time with the concepts/calculations than others. A bigger class (usually) means less time per student to go over these concepts and entertain questions. Overall, I consider a reasonable price for the course to be around $125, though it depends upon the student ratio and the location. Some parts of the world/country have higher rates overall. I would not select a course with a larger group than 6-8 students to an instructor. That's just my opinion based on time/questions asked/comfort level of students. (Lots of students don't want to "look stupid" in front of a large group... and honestly, groups with younger kids were always the best since they asked all the questions the adults wouldn't.)

I took mine on vacation for 150 through Padi. My son has his scheduled for cozumel this summer. They charged me 100 for class and threw in a free 2 tank dive. Granted I purchased 50 dives off them, but I felt like I got a good deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom