Fake DiveRite Second Stage Regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's only $5 cheaper than the real Dive Rite.
I reported it to eBay. We'll see what happens.

It's only $5 cheaper than the real Dive Rite.
I reported it to eBay. We'll see what happens.

Having dealt with similar issues, most marketplace web sites require that the trademark holder report the issue themselves (as a TM violation). Notifying DiveRite may be appropriate so that they can contact eBay. Outside of that, I'm not sure what eBay's rules are regarding counterfeit items.... (other than knowing there are a LOT of them out there).

There was a time where you could put a ScubaPro G250v and a Halcyon Halo (think that was it), side by side, and they were basically identical (as was the MK-17 and the ???). Seeing there are few factories producing, this isn't the only "close" appearing product. I am not a Patent Attorney, so I might be off base, but then again, it may be the same factory and the differences are subtle enough.

No link was provided (and I don't want one), but are they claiming to be a DR?

yes, they are listed as DR

Dive Rite Xt2 Second Stage Premium Regulator for sale online | eBay

there is a not insignificant chance they might be coming from the same oem as DR though. could be QC rejects or stock leftovers from a store brand run. Definitely not enough of a discount to bother though.

I am not sure I would call these fake as the pictured reg does not have Dive Rite markings, at least not in the same sense as a fake Rolex. The seller is misrepresenting them in the listing.

I sent a message directly too the seller. Let’s see what they say. I must admit they have really good feedback. So it’s odd they would suddenly be selling knock off items.

I sent a message directly too the seller. Let’s see what they say. I must admit they have really good feedback. So it’s odd they would suddenly be selling knock off items.
Sadly, a common practice in China is for 'ghost runs' to be produced off the OEM's actual tooling (after hours, weekends etc) which may or may not be moulded in the OEM specified virgin resin or with a percentage of runner regrind added to lower costs.

If moulded in the OEM resin, small ghost production runs can be hidden amongst tool trial material allowances for bedding and tuning or production volume runner scrap... ie free!

Sometimes an enterprising toolmaker will make an insert in the tool so that a particular identifying feature (production code time stamp, OEM logo, part number etc) can easily be removed and replaced to further hide the source and even be upgraded with a non-OEM feature. OEM vehicle tail lamp modules with non-approved LED inserts spring to mind!

I was impressed seeing a very high quality dual-SIM iPhone clone (with user replaceable battery!) in China :D

There was a time where you could put a ScubaPro G250v and a Halcyon Halo (think that was it), side by side, and they were basically identical (as was the MK-17 and the ???).

That is a different situation. The Halcyon regulators were rebranded Scubapro models that Scubapro had manufactured for Halcyon. Scubapro does the same with some of the TUSA models.

Seeing there are few factories producing, this isn't the only "close" appearing product. I am not a Patent Attorney, so I might be off base, but then again, it may be the same factory and the differences are subtle enough.

I am not a patent attorney either, but the question is who owns the intellectual property. My understanding is WMD and ODS develops the base model regulator and companies like HOG, Deep6, Dive Rite, DRIS, UTD, etc. customize them to their own specifications. The OEM should own the IP for the base model, if the marketer owns the IP for the customization that should be in the contract, but certainly they cannot sell a regulator with the marketer's logo. You can buy the base model direct from OEMs but you need to buy a quantity, if you want customization then you need to buy a larger quantity or else make the alterations yourself.

That is a different situation. The Halcyon regulators were rebranded Scubapro models that Scubapro had manufactured for Halcyon.

Scubapro cannot survive without the OEMs since everything sold by Scubapro is made for them by OEMs. Scubapro is (possibly with the exception of Uwatec) completely without a manufacturing capability NO SCUBAPRO FACTORY!

Michael

Scubapro cannot survive without the OEMs since everything sold by Scubapro is made for them by OEMs. Scubapro is (possibly with the exception of Uwatec) completely without a manufacturing capability NO SCUBAPRO FACTORY!

Michael

I never said Scubapro had a factory. I said that they had the regulator manufactured for Halcyon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom