How does a DIN cylinder work ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don’t have a cylinder at home to check but I was wondering how does a DIN cylinder valve not leak air ?

Is there a o-ring in the cylinder valve ?

There is an O-Ring on the first stage, on the front end of the thread, which provides the seal...

Thanks I just checked my first stage and never noticed the black ring until now !

Thanks I just checked my first stage and never noticed the black ring until now !
Which begs the question: what else didn’t your elementary instructor(s) teach you. This should have been covered when you were introduced to fitting a reg to a tank.

Which begs the question: what else didn’t your elementary instructor(s) teach you. This should have been covered when you were introduced to fitting a reg to a tank.
They probably did, I have probably forgotten it.

Now the question is what elementary things I forgot as well ?

:p

They probably did, I have probably forgotten it.

Now the question is what elementary things I forgot as well ?

:p
Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

I get my students to use both DIN and A clamp set ups during their course and expect/demand they set up their equipment without requiring assistance and without errors

I also demonstrate by cutting O-rings what a leak sounds like so they might have some clue when they gear up if an O ring is damaged or missing.

You'd be surprised how many people - some newly certed some with many hundreds of dives stare blankly at their equipment if they haven't set it up for a while - or try to get it set up on their behalf. Just when you think you've seen every permutation someone invents something new.

the O-ring is on the 1st stage.
Well, to pick nits there are also a couple inside the valve and one between the valve and the tank :wink:
(sorry. I'll show myself out now)

But to get back to the OP's topic, it might be a good idea for them to read this little gem of an article.

I see in my 2005 OW manual that the workings of DIN is covered. The instructor as well as mine in '05 and those I later assisted most likely didn't talk about it because no one here that I've seen uses DIN, so it's easy to forget about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom