Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, what we need for the networking is after receiving the purple link to send the acknowledgment back....
That exact process is what significantly increases costs of the PLB/EPIRB because now you are into monthly subscription rates. The buyer's market won't pay $20-$50 per month while the PLB sits in their dive bag for 6 months waiting til their next vacation trip.

That exact process is what significantly increases costs of the PLB/EPIRB because now you are into monthly subscription rates. The buyer's market won't pay $20-$50 per month while the PLB sits in their dive bag for 6 months waiting til their next vacation trip.
I'm totally confused by this post. What are you talking about? Which "exact process" are you referring to?
There is no subscription for a PLB; once you buy it, there are no more charges until it needs a battery change in maybe 5 years.

...What are you talking about? ....
You needed to read @dmaziuk 's post where he references 2 way satellite communication with a PLB {uplink & downlink}
As you know......all PLB's are 1 way communication {uplink}.
If you want to add in a downlink as @dmaziuk suggested,,,,it's going to be like SPOT and others which have a monthly subscription rate.

You needed to read @dmaziuk 's post where he references 2 way satellite communication with a PLB {uplink & downlink}
As you know......all PLB's are 1 way communication {uplink}.
If you want to add in a downlink as @dmaziuk suggested,,,,it's going to be like SPOT and others which have a monthly subscription rate.
No, the new generation MEOSAR satellites have something called a Return Link Service, which is part of the next-gen system, and PLBs/EPIRBs are being developed now....they should be announced soon. Perhaps they already have. They will receive a transmission from the satellite and show that your distress call was received, That is exactly what the item (6) is in the diagram I showed a few posts earlier. See 14. Meosar beacons, especially slides 6-9. No subscription, part of the globally free service.

This video seem to be taken by Coast Guard through night vision device.
The time stamp says 26 JL 2016 19:51 - 19:55

So they do SAR at night. Cool!

That's FLIR, not the same as the night vision pilots fly with. Without getting too far into the technical aspects, they "see" different things. Something visible on FLIR is not necessarily visible with night vision goggles. There are some fusion systems that work in both spectrums, but they're not very common in these scenarios. The guys flying that aircraft would, most likely, not be able to see that guy through their NVG's until they were on top of him unless he had some sort of visible or IR marker.

The rough difference is that night vision devices amplify available light, whereas FLIR systems "see" heat. The video is FLIR, night vision stuff is green.

The IR is great for night time. But why not instead a small green laser who's beam you can see in daylight and even more so at night. It will easily cover, up to the curvature of the earth's distance in the day time. When we talked to the Coasties at the Blue Wild seminar, they said if you really wanted to get a pilot's attention and piss him off,,,,,just flash a green laser day or night.

So your floating for 24 hrs and see a cargo/cruise ship 10 miles away. Too far for visual SMB & strobe day or night, but easily reachable for a green laser. Me dying or the captain/pilot pissed off,,,,,tough decision. :)

One of my duties is flight nursing. I never thought lasers were a big deal until I started doing that and being in a helicopter regularly.

It is illegal to shine lasers into the sky in the US. During the day it won't maybe have much effect, but at night, it can be devastating. Our pilot wears night vision and if someone were to shine a laser towards him/her, boom, they're blind for a period. Yes, we have autopilot and the chances of it happening near takeoff/landing are slim, but it is even dangerous for 5 minutes on autopilot, because the helicopter pilot and others are constantly scanning the sky for obstacles, like birds. Bird strikes in a helicopter can easily be fatal. There's also debris, towers, lines, other air traffic that you have to be constantly looking for.

So it's not a matter of just pissing off the helicopter pilot and their crew, you are endangering their lives. And if we are flying and see a laser (has happened twice, both times were very scary for all of us, because even when you know about it, the pilot still needs night vision, and they can't just ignore a segment of the sky) we will call the police and report where the laser is coming from so the person can be caught.

In a rescue situation, while yes it would be good to be seen, causing the rescuing helicopter to crash I think would be counterintuitive :wink:

ETA since someone was complaining about the "dramatics" about lasers, it is different rotor vs fixed wing. The dangers and actions are different. As someone who is in a helicopter weekly, I am not overstating the importance, I am trying to protect my own life.

It is illegal to shine lasers into the sky in the US.
Except in an emergency. See H.R.658:
"(Sec. 311) Amends the federal criminal code to prohibit the aiming of the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft or in its flight path. Imposes a fine and/or prison term of up to five years.

Exempts from such prohibition: (1) individuals conducting research and development or flight test operations for an aircraft manufacturer or the FAA; (2) DOD or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) personnel conducting research, development, operations, testing or training; or (3) an individual using a laser emergency signaling device to send a distress signal."

Should those then learn S O S?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom