Another regulator question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunFishSarah

Reaction score
I've posted this question to my GUE instructor and local DIR/GUE divers but thought I would ask here as well. I've read through related posts and am still looking for more info.

I'm looking to buy my first regulators (single tank).. My goal is to work towards wreck diving. To what depth etc. is for now the unknown but I would rather buy regs that can be used for more advanced diving.

The majority of my diving is in cold water. Monteray Bay - Mendocino, CA..

ScubaPro vs. Apeks (or ??).. I've heard the sales pitch on both but would like some real life experience thrown in there as well..

KR's,

S

Have 2 ATX100s and can't say enough good things. Have a Scubapro R190 as the backup on a single rig that seems ok, I just hardly ever use it (have an H-valve on my single tank so I use my Apeks regs.

I use Apeks DS4s 1sts with ATX50 2nds. They are environmentally sealed and diaphragm 1sts, so are probably better for cold water. They don't breathe nearly as well as my SP Mk25/S600, though. A lot of people have had freezing problems with the SP piston regs, though I haven't personally.

Basically, the high end SP and Apeks regs are all excellent.

Apeks rebuild kits are easier to get, if that is a consideration.

Soggy:
I use Apeks DS4s 1sts with ATX50 2nds. They are environmentally sealed and diaphragm 1sts, so are probably better for cold water. They don't breathe nearly as well as my SP Mk25/S600, though. A lot of people have had freezing problems with the SP piston regs, though I haven't personally.

Both companies make excellent regs. I use the TX50 and TX 40 Apeks, and think they are wonderful. They are very easy to service, and the 2nds have the ability to be cleaned out easily while underwater (though I've never had to do so). If you're going to be doing your own reg service, the Apeks had the additonal benefit of not having a zillion o-rings to contend with.

I dig my Apeks regs: DS4 with TX40s. Easy to service, reliable, breathe well, great for the coldest of water.

Scott:

Which Apeks do you have?

S

boomx5:
Hi Sarah,

I use Apeks and they work great for the diving we do in Monterey and Tahoe. I've used them down to 40 degrees on the Rubicon Wall and they breathed great.

Soggy:

I'll put my girl hat on to ask this one.

Rebuild kit? I'm pretty technically apt, but never considered doing my own maint. on scuba gear if that is what it refers to. I'd be afraid of doing something wrong??

S

Soggy:

I must say, you can't complain about Apeks. I have a set of Black Pearls, ATX 200, and
ATX 50. Cold water is not a concern, average temps 33-48, 45 is considered nice. Performance is top notch, hands down.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom