SCUBA at BSA Florida Sea Base and Asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I am new to this forum, but I have a SCUBA related question regarding the BSA Florida Sea Base, and restrictions in regards to asthma.

I am a certified diver, and have several dives logged, but I am also a person who has had asthma. I had indicated that I had asthma on the BSA medical forms, but also mentioned that it has been greater than five years since I have been treated for it. I also had my physician indicate and sign that I am not unfit for SCUBA Diving. However, Sea Base is disqualifying me for SCUBA activity.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar issue with Sea Base, or know someone who has, and can say if that issue was resolved to be able to dive?

Unfortunately, their business, their rules.
Most dive centers would be happy with your medical sign off.
Perhaps someone with direct experience with sea base will clarify.

They've got some specific language in there that has caused us problems with some adults:

SCUBA ONLY- They have not been prescribed medication including rescue inhalers within the previous 5 years. They have not had asthma symptoms within the previous 5 years OR have taken and passed a Methacholine Test and have been medically cleared by their treating physician in consult with DAN- Divers Alert Network and Sea Base Medical Director. Final decision for participation rests with Sea Base Medical Director.​

I think the language changed since we went in '17. I don't know if the consult with DAN was there before, but either way we had an adult that had asthma that was brought on by some medication he took several years before the trip, they stopped the medication and he didn't have symptoms since, but Sea Base wouldn't accept him.

Only thing I can suggest is that you tailor the information you're handing them to the requirements above... e.g. rather than saying "haven't been treated" it's "have had no symptoms or prescriptions". Not sure if you've called to ask if there's a specific part in the requirements they're denying you for as it could very well be them not understanding.

I hope you can go! It's a great place.

I finally got a resolution from Sea Base after having further discussions with them. They are letting me dive!!

That's great! Was it just a misunderstanding on the forms? (I'm organizing our troop's trip next year and want to avoid any problems)

It was an oversight on their end. They had not noticed that I indicated it has been greater than five years since any medication was used to control the issue, and that my physician had indicated there was not an issue.

My guess is that they probably glazed over the forms quickly because I am sure they have many to go through.

Not related but similar.

A few years ago my middle son was getting his OW cert on the questionnaire he listed he had a previous hernia. Ok this was like 12 years earlier and it didn’t require any medical procedures. They required a doctors sign off which was an event in its self on a tropical island.

Hello! I am new to this forum, but I have a SCUBA related question regarding the BSA Florida Sea Base, and restrictions in regards to asthma.

I am a certified diver, and have several dives logged, but I am also a person who has had asthma. I had indicated that I had asthma on the BSA medical forms, but also mentioned that it has been greater than five years since I have been treated for it. I also had my physician indicate and sign that I am not unfit for SCUBA Diving. However, Sea Base is disqualifying me for SCUBA activity.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar issue with Sea Base, or know someone who has, and can say if that issue was resolved to be able to dive?
A similar story happened to me in Thailand and, last year, I just went with another shop after getting a medical from a doctor at the local diving chamber.

I think a lot of people don’t understand asthma: they think you are gonna have a panic and die. My asthma for example will always happen only in certain conditions that I can predict.

I think a lot of people don’t understand asthma: they think you are gonna have a panic and die. My asthma for example will always happen only in certain conditions that I can predict.

I have a good understanding of asthma and the complications it can cause while diving. While I believe I understand your sentiment, I think you are deluding yourself if you believe that your asthma "will always happen only in certain conditions that you can predict"....hopefully that one time that is the statistical anomaly for your condition, when you don't predict it, will not be during a dive.

There is no reward, but lots of risk, for a dive center to accept someone with asthma that is not cleared with signed paperwork from a physician stating the individual is safe to dive.

-Z

I have a good understanding of asthma and the complications it can cause while diving. While I believe I understand your sentiment, I think you are deluding yourself if you believe that your asthma "will always happen only in certain conditions that you can predict"....hopefully that one time that is the statistical anomaly for your condition, when you don't predict it, will not be during a dive.

There is no reward, but lots of risk, for a dive center to accept someone with asthma that is not cleared with signed paperwork from a physician stating the individual is safe to dive.

-Z
I think my asthma is very likely to not happen when I am not ill, not under excessive cold, and not been breathing air mixed with dust and that has been the case for the past 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom