Help! Old Rig Overhaul: Seeking advice on switch to BP/W, regs, gauges, and on a budget!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are buying a package I would go for the SS plate. You can usually pickup a used AL plate fairly cheap if you want one.

If your SPG is functional, no need to replace it. Just remove it from the console and install a new spool and a little silicon grease.
Maybe have a very good look at the hoses before using them...

Hi All,

Thanks again for the input and advice. I've pulled the trigger on a number of items, so here's how things are shaping up.

VDH:
Argonaut #23 Wing
Steel BP
DIR Harness Assembly
2 x Nylon Tank Straps

Huge shout out to Bryan and VDH for some of the best customer service I've encountered. Not only in Scuba, but online sales in general. By trade I'm in procurement for a publicly-traded company, and buy for multiple subsidiaries, so I deal with vendors day in and day out, and his responsiveness to a single, first-time potential customer with multiple basic questions was impressive. He's also willing to go the extra mile for his customers on their purchase. I have no doubt the product quality will be just as good, given what I've read here. So if you're interested in their products, or just have questions, reach out to him.

Piranha Dive Mfg:
2.5" Hog SPG (black) w/24" rubber hose installed
84" LP hose in black
Small accessory pouch

I was skeptical at first when I ran across Piranha, but after reading various threads here I felt better. Their prices are nice, especially on the Hog SPG setup.

ScubaForum Member:
A kind member stepped forward offering a Zeagle 2nd Stage w/hose for a very nice price shipped.

I'll pair this up with my current Zeagle reg as I'm in no hurry to switch to a new set just yet. Maybe next year when the budget allows.

What's Left:
There's still miscellaneous hardware I need to research more and pick up - a la bolt-snaps and which styles and sizes, bungees for necklace and keeping things tidy, etc. Also, I need to figure out what to use to keep the hose on the right side in lieu of a can-light, which I don't have. I can try the tuck method, but also might try my OMS shears, or a pouch of some sort, but everything I've seen so far for those look gigantic. I'm probably missing other details, but that's the gist of it that I can recall for now.

Current Rig:
As for my current rig, I've decided not to cannibalize it. I'm going to try to sell it for whatever I can get. It's in good shape, so I may list it here, ebay or try to convince a buddy or two of mine to get certified and buy it.

Again, thanks all for the help and please feel free to point out any piece of gear that I've overlooked so far or have made the wrong choice on.

- D

I was skeptical at first when I ran across Piranha, but after reading various threads here I felt better. Their prices are nice, especially on the Hog SPG setup.

Piranha is great, I have ordered from them in the past. There website isn't as polished as Leisure Pro's or even DGX's but it is functional and you can call Randy if there is something you don't see.

What's Left:
There's still miscellaneous hardware I need to research more and pick up - a la bolt-snaps and which styles and sizes, bungees for necklace and keeping things tidy, etc. Also, I need to figure out what to use to keep the hose on the right side in lieu of a can-light, which I don't have. I can try the tuck method, but also might try my OMS shears, or a pouch of some sort, but everything I've seen so far for those look gigantic. I'm probably missing other details, but that's the gist of it that I can recall for now.

Dive Gear Express for the hardware. Although Piranha and VDH might carry it also. Give them a call first to save on shipping. You can use a knife sheath (without the knife) to keep the hose. Someone used to make a hose keeper that looked like a small length of PVC pipe with slots cut in to run the webbing through. A kind of pretend can light.

Piranha is great, I have ordered from them in the past. There website isn't as polished as Leisure Pro's or even DGX's but it is functional and you can call Randy if there is something you don't see.

Dive Gear Express for the hardware. Although Piranha and VDH might carry it also. Give them a call first to save on shipping. You can use a knife sheath (without the knife) to keep the hose. Someone used to make a hose keeper that looked like a small length of PVC pipe with slots cut in to run the webbing through. A kind of pretend can light.

Thanks for the Piranha tips. They do carry the bolt snaps in varying sizes, and good prices, so I'm anticipating ordering from there. I think I need to learn more about appropriate sizes to get (thickest gloves I'd wear are 5mm), best practices for using and attaching them, methods for attaching them to SPG, Reg, etc and keeping extra ones from dangling about.

As for bungee - it seems like 1/8" is pretty common for necklace and other uses. I'll probably pick some up at Academy or the like. I have some laying about, but it's day-glo orange. I guess nothing wrong with that per-se?

- D

Look on YouTube for innerspace explorers. He has videos on bolt snaps and how to tie them. If you watch the videos on setting up regulators he also does a bungie necklace.

Back
Top Bottom